Recycling advice

• 12 Replies

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
Recycling advice
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:26 »
Doing my recycling now, saving toilet roll tubes for parsnips, pop bottles for sweetcorn. Is there anything else I can be saving and what can they be used for?
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Recycling advice
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:31 »
I save large meat trays for pot saucers and mushroom boxes for seed trays - just make a few holes in the bottom if they have none. The larger mushroom trays are good for small quantities of leeks or to grow salads in  ;)

Spana

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:59 »
You should come and have a look in my greenhouse ::)

I use loads of chuckaway stuff.

I have an old stainless steel sink and draining board set up between two benches,put compost in the sink and its great for potting up.
I use pop bottles for lots of things, cut into three, top part over pots of seeds, middle bit used as slug  collars when planting out  and bottom bit as pot stand. But these have lots of uses :)

Lots of drawers from old fridges, really useful to stand pots of seeds or cuttings in with a bit of glass or plastic over.

I could go on all day. :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04 »
ooh I forgot - I cut the bigger plastic milk bottles in half, and use the bottoms as pots 9 or 12 depending on size, sit nicely in a mushroom box for the final potting on of toms before they get planted out ;)

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:07 »
I did the same mum :D

I found a big bag of old wooden spoons and spatulas dumped, must have been from an hotel.  I use these as row markers, i write on the flat bit. :D

brown thumb

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 15:32 »
cabbage collars cut from margarine tubs / ice cream tubs and   both can be used as planters  or  drip  trays  to hold toilet roll inners  and paper pots 

Brambles

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 15:58 »
I usually use my loo roll "innards" to plant seeds in...   This year I saved them all year.... To save space I folded them flat and stored them in boxes...   Today, I got them out to plant up my runner beans and french beans...   I refolded them the opposite way making a square planter...  12 of these fit exactly into an empty Tesco ice cream tub... this makes so much more space in my greenhouse.. It doesn't take much to make me a very happy bunny  :D :D :D

Brambles

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 16:10 »
Oh... and the ice cream tub lids can be cut into many plant lables and written up with a permanent pen...

grinling

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 22:01 »
milk containers... cut off half and thread handles through cane. Use as plant pot holder.
Cereal wax packet for jam circle.

Elaine G

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 23:11 »
Old spoons and chopsticks are good for helping seedlings out of trays and into pots.
If you stay in a hotel always take home the shower cap - to cover trays while seeds germinate.
The top half of a softner bottle makes a good funnel for filling loo rolls.
I have been trying to get my hands on a venitian blind to cut up for row markers on the plot, but no luck yet.
And if you see any windows being thrown out, thats the start of a cold frame  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38 »
If you can get hold of the large plastic drinking water bottles from the drinking water machine. they are very handy.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 08:21 »
If you can get hold of the large plastic drinking water bottles from the drinking water machine. they are very handy.

True - unfortunately there's a big deposit on them so they don't come free very often  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 19:33 »
in addition to what others have said, I keep glass jars in anticipation of all the jam/sauces we'll be making and wine bottles that had corks in for my homebrew  :D

I have an old stainless steel sink and draining board set up between two benches,put compost in the sink and its great for potting up.

really like that Idea, Spana - we're planning on a new kitchen sink soon so will have one of these going spare!

I could really do with an extra room in the house to store all the things that 'could come in handy' someday...  at least I have an allotment to take all (well most) of it now  :D

xx
recycling boxes

Started by lazydog on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 17:08
by gavinjconway
xx
Recycling shower cubicle

Started by willowman on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 10:31
by joyfull
xx
Recycling plastic bags.

Started by becky on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 22:39
by muntjac
xx
recycling merry-go-round

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 18:42
by rainie

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.