Window

• 7 Replies

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Window
« on: August 14, 2008, 18:14 »
Hi
Would it be possible for some one to tell me what size window there needs to be in the coop I have a window which is 1ft by 1ft in a shed that is 4ft wide 5ft deep and 5ft high. if it there is a break down on light per bird that would be a great help.

Br Jim
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

Foxy

Window
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 22:04 »
Hi JR,
I dont think coops actually need windows, just good ventilation. Are you looking to keep chickens in the coop or have they a run, sorry if I've misunderstood your post! I know there are various methods of increasing light gradually through autumn/winter to artifically lengthen the days thereby maintaining summer laying patterns.

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Window
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Hi JR,
I dont think coops actually need windows, just good ventilation. Are you looking to keep chickens in the coop or have they a run, sorry if I've misunderstood your post! I know there are various methods of increasing light gradually through autumn/winter to artifically lengthen the days thereby maintaining summer laying patterns.

Hi Foxy ( Never thought i would type that  :lol: )

yes they have a 16ft x 16ft run I'm not bothered about artificial light in the winter months. The thing is the secretary cheeks the coops and he basically hate me so I am expecting him to say this is wrong and that is wrong. So I just want to get everything right so I can say well this meets this criteria and that meets that criteria if you know what I mean.

Jim

poultrygeist

Window
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 22:19 »
I've seen some with ventilation openings and a sliding cover.

There could be a danger of creating a greenhouse in summer, unless you have really good ventilation.

I've got 4 off 2" holes front and back and they give good ventilation and let through a surprising amount of light. They often read while they're in there without switching the light on.  :shock:

rob 8)

Jo-n-Neil

Window
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 22:22 »
we converted an old dog kennel which dosnt have windows. We bought two vents from B&Q cheap and they have those on the front and also holes drilled along the back. The bloke on the other plot said this was fine. (he has kept chooks for years)

Jo x

poultrygeist

Window
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 22:27 »
As long as you get a breeze through you're ok.

I stuck my head in early summer and it felt a bit warm so I drilled some bigger holes. That's the joy of wood. If it's too cold, nail some wood over the holes. Sorted.  :wink:

But I don;t think light is soemthing you need in a coop. They want it dark in the nestbox and wouldn't normally be in there unless they're laying or sleeping. Unless the food's in there of course.

Foxy

Window
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 22:29 »
Hi Jim, foxy here!!! :lol:
You set up sounds great -I expect he would check how many birds in the house, husbandry etc -so I would just make sure that they had enough space,ventilation and they were well cared for which I am certain they are!
So 1foot sq per bird absolute minimum and 1metre sq per bird run space (which is 3x3 foot)again minimum space required more is good though. Perch space should be 9inches per bird average sized chicken.
Demonstrating this knowledge I am sure will keep him off your back! :wink:

upert

• Experienced Member
Window
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 18:59 »
i fixed a sheet of clear corrugated plastic over a 1 foot by 2 foot 'hole' in the side of my coop and my chickens seem to try and batter their way through it to get outside (before it's time or after 'lights out'). it's above head height but they fly at it.

i can cover it up so it's no real problem, but i do like to peek at them when they're locked down... just to see what they're up to and if any has decided to perch yet.

xx
coop window

Started by meterman on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 19:53
by meterman
xx
Hen House Window

Started by chasechicken on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 13:54
by andreadon
wireless
Why are they eating window seals?

Started by SamT on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 10:59
by SamT
xx
Soon to be chicken keeper... window shopping and internet buying!

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2011, 20:48
by joyfull

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 34 queries.