Parsnip Wine

• 24 Replies

compostqueen

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 17:16 »
I got a packet of Wilko parsnip seed "Hollow Crown" last year, a Victorian variety I think. It says on the pack that this is the best variety for parsnip wine and parnsip jam

The seed was about 26p and the parnsips were blooming hoooooooge, so I reckon a good all rounder and just might be the thing you're looking for to make wine  :D

Although the 'snips were massive they were not at all tough or woody. I got another packet for this year :D

Scribbler

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 11:37 »
Where's Boza, BTW?
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

compostqueen

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2008, 12:04 »
:D  :oops: Just realised I'd put Boza. So used to saying it I suppose

It's Bolsover, nr chesterfield in  NE Derbys

alibean

• Experienced Member
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 21:14 »
Hello - I'm new so pleased to meet you all - finally plucked up the courage to post....

Yep - have made two gallons of parsnip wine this year (reduced parsnips from tesco).. Preliminary tastings are promising if a little rough - just needs time I think.

Following a glut of jerusalem artichokes from the allotment (I rue the day I planted the blooming things - no one likes them :lol: ) have used the parsnip wine recipe with these.  This concoction is tasting very very promising - has anyone else made a 'fartichoke' vintage?

hindy

• Experienced Member
    • Hayden Road Allotmenteers
Parsnip Wine
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 23:11 »
Have just bottled 5 gallons of parsnip. brought a net from the market for about £7 so a great bargain. The bottled wine tastes great, a sweet taste,  but a very strong wine. Will be planting more parsnips on the allotment next year for another batch.
Andy
Founder of Hayden Road Allotmenteers

bockhamptoners

Parsnip Wine
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 22:02 »
We are new at this as you will have gathered from our other posts but one shining success was Parsnip & Banana. It was simply one of the best things we've drunk and sadly all 6 bottles lasted not long enough. Am about to make more and try to keep it a bit longer, may even get to Christmas this time  :)
So, it was something we put together from 3 recipes and it went like this...
2 Kg  Parsnips                          
3 big ripe (very) bananas
250ml grape concentrate  or 500g Sultaners (which is what we used)
1.5kg sugar                            
Zest and juice of 2 lemons        
1tsp yeast nutrient                    
Yeast - 1 teaspoon of Youngs

Scrub the parsnips, slice thinly and boil (mandolin thing is perfect) then boil in 3 pints of water for about 20-30 mins until just going soft.
Strain into a clean bucket and add sugar and chopped bananas. Leave to cool. Strain into into a clean sterilised demi john using a muslin to wring out the last juice from the bananas (don't worry it did clear later).
Top up to seven pints with cold water. Add rest of ingredients and leave to ferment.
After  the vigourous fermenting slows down top up with cold water to the shoulders of the demi john.
Leave to ferment out for  about 3 weeks.
Taste or check the gravity with a hydrometer, it should be dry , under 1000 sg on the hydrometer. If it's too sweet leave longer.
Add a campden tablet and a stabiliser tablet and leave to clear...... or use finings if you are desperate like we were (it was our first batch of anything)........... we racked it when it finished and was stabilised, looked at it for another few days and decided it was 'good to go'! So that was it, up on the stand, down through the filter, into the bottle, slap the wine bottle cooler thing round it and 10 min later it's on the pallet......... devine!!
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
Re: Parsnip Wine
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 20:30 »
Hi, i've just racked my parsnip for the second time and an early tasting is very promising but as with all root wines you need to keep it a while before drinking. My recipe is 4 pound pars. per gal. 1 bag sugar 2 tab spoons lemon juice and general purpose yeast.
Boil the pars. for about 20 mins. and strain off the liquor disolve the sugar in it put it in your bucket when cool enough add the lemon and a teaspoon full of the yeast, cover the bucket with a teatowel when going well put in a demijohn.

Adam

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 21:47 »
Last year I put loads of effort into growing some lovely long perfect parsnips - too good for wine! In previous years though I've been less thorough and always grew big fat knobbly parsnips (like cows udders). Ideal for wine I would have thought.
Anyway, inspired by what I've just read, I will persevere with my 'table' parsnips this year, but at the same time I'm going to grow a load in a bit of a rough patch I've got especially for brewing!

SkipRat

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 14:27 »
I have made Parsnip wine for the last three years using my own parsnips grown on my plot. I find it tastes a lot better if left to mature for at least two years. I still have the five gallons I made last winter in demijohns with stoppers inserted. This will be bottled some time this year. I usually let a couple of gallon oxidize just before bottling as this really does add to a sherry type taste.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

Stoatus

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 13:29 »
I made the parsnip banana wine as recommended by bockhamptoners above, but using red wine concentrate instead of white as that's all I could get. I have to say it was a delicious sweet, spicy dessert-type wine (note the "was" - gone now!) and will definitely make another batch or two this year. Cheers!
Organic

xx
A Parsnip Wine to Keep?

Started by dalemellor on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 18:57
by dalemellor
xx
Parsnip wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2015, 11:03
by Aunt Sally
question
Parsnip Wine?

Started by VegGirl7 on Homebrew

22 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 23:49
by VegGirl7
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 38 queries.