B******** wind!

• 26 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Re: B******** wind!
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 14:45 »
Had a late start for work this morning as I had a physio appointment so went to the plot to have a quick check. 6 panes of glass missing out of greenhouse   :( didnt have time to do anything about it so everytime I hear a gust of wind I'm imagining another piece of glass going missing. Cant't get there till the weekend either so I think I'm going to be preparing for the worst  :wacko:

Oh no, what a pain. Hope you dont suffer any further damage.

I see you're just down the road from me, here in Eastbourne the winds are punishing too, was going to check my PT this aft as I was off work, but instead had to collect the boy from school (bumped head). Very anxious as to how things are at the plot.  :wacko:

Plot94

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 16:41 »
Going to leave work a bit early and see if there is anything I can do, probably mean taking glass out in the dark tho' as I work an hour away  >:(

mrs bouquet

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 17:05 »
Hi Plot 94,   I know what you feel about these gales bothering you, each morning my stomach goes over before opening the blinds, because my old wooden greenhouse is currently held together with parcel tape.
Maybe, with a few panes gone in yours, there will be less resistance to the winds, and the remainder will stay put.  It is so horrid to have to clear broken glass up - take care.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 17:25 »
That really is rubbish Plot94, makes my few wasted seedlings seem much more insignificant!

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 08:35 »
Yes, its pretty bad at the moment.

3 hours yesterday along with 9m of rebar hopefully means my clotches are now somewhat wind proof.

Plot94

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 09:14 »
Well it wasn't so bad in the end, no more glass had gone at least. With the rain making the ground a bit slick and the broken glass I decided to patch up the greenhouse with spare polytunnel cover and duct tape  :nowink:. Took about an hour in the dark with a torch in my mouth but got it done. Just hope for the best now, the wind today and Saturday looks particularly vicious tho'. :ohmy: 

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 09:56 »
Must confess I have only planted a few shallots so far spuds are chitting in conservatory. When the weather calms down I will check my plot hasn’t blown away and sow some seeds. I normally find that if I do things too early either the seedlings die from cold or wet or they all grow slowly and are overtaken by the later showings to try to have succession.
Good luck all!!
HH

Keep digging

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 09:30 »
It's a regular feature of North Cumbrian spring. We call it the daffodil wind in our house because it snaps off all the daffodils in our garden and wood. At least, at this time of the year we have vases full of them in every room

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2019, 08:57 »
Dreading going up to the plot today, havent been tgis week and I'll be very suprised if my new PT and seedlings are still in one piece... the plan is to build some pallet fencing round the family area with my dad. Should be fun in 50mph winds!  :(

al78

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2019, 21:32 »
We'll have to install greenhouses like this if high winds like this week are going to be a regular feature of winter and spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DnMDzMJPU
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 21:32 by al78 »

Goosegirl

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 12:43 »
Must confess I have only planted a few shallots so far spuds are chitting in conservatory. When the weather calms down I will check my plot hasn’t blown away and sow some seeds. I normally find that if I do things too early either the seedlings die from cold or wet or they all grow slowly and are overtaken by the later showings to try to have succession.
Good luck all!!
HH
I live on flat moss land about a mile from the sea and the winds have certainly blown all the spider's webs away for sure! Fortunately I bought a sturdy greenhouse many years ago and it's still intact. It's all ready to go with a mini-GH inside that's got a new cover, but I'm delaying sowing any seeds until later on next week as frosts are forecasted. It's also been terribly wet so I don't want to go sploshing all over the grass paths to get to it; besides that it's probably got an inch of water on the floor. My pots are chitting nicely inside so there's no real hurry to get them in.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Pescador

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2019, 18:29 »
Looking at a quieter, mild, dry-ish week. However on my heavier soil down here in S Wales, I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to get on it, even with boards to stand on. My old lot in the Midlands would have been workable  tomorrow, here I might have to wait another day or two!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

xx
Gone with the wind?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 16:53
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 50 queries.