« on: July 04, 2015, 14:34 »
Mine is very variable this year.  I planted 6 varieties.   These were:
Rossa di Sulmona
Early Purple Wight
Messidrome
Provence Wight
Solent Wight
Edenrose.
Rossa di Sulmona are still in the ground but looking very good indeed.   The best performer this year, will grow again definitely.
Early Purple Wight harvested.  I didn't order these, they were a substitute variety.   They have done much better for me this year than when I grew them a few years ago.   Good size of bulb.  Pleased.
Messidrome.   I don't know what has happened here, but these have turned out to be a hardneck with a pinkish tinge and small / medium sized bulbs, which isn't what they are supposed to be.  Has anyone heard of a softneck variety suddenly throwing up scapes?
Provence Wight - a bit of a disappointment.  Now harvested and much smaller than expected.
Solent Wight - another substitute variety I didn't order.  Unlike the Early Purple, this is doing as badly this year as it has for me previously.  Tiny bulbs and a lot seem to be rotting, the others in the same bed are not.  They are also tinged pink in colour - are they really Solent Wight?
Edenrose - quite productive, bulbs are medium sized, so OK.
So, a mixed bag.  I won't be going back to the supplier who sent me 2 substitutes plus, 1 of which is possibly mis-labelled, and it would seem a third variety wrongly labelled too.   One out of four right isn't good enough!  Will be getting the Rossa di Sulmona from Seeds of Italy again though.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How's your garlic doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 15:28 »
Solent Wight isn't pink tinged either  :wacko: Albigensian Wight which I'm growing, is  :unsure:

Softneck varieties don't usually grow scapes, but they can.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 19:54 »
Just dug mine up today as they had a lot of rust, and I needed somewhere to put the red cabbage.  Not bad some big some little as usual.  Can't remember what variety they are it is so long since I bought the original bulbs.  Solent wight rings a bell.

I can't remember, am I supposed to cut the tops off to dry or leave them on?
Anne

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 19:58 »
Ditto, some big some little, but some I was proud of!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 20:13 »
No rust for me which is a nice change from usual! (I'm growing Music as per usual but will try the Rossa di Sulmona next year based on Anne's recommendation).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 20:14 »
I can't remember, am I supposed to cut the tops off to dry or leave them on?

Leave all the foliage on until completely dry.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 21:05 »
Thanks Yorkie  :)

oldgrunge

Re: How's your garlic doing
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 21:30 »
Mine had rust too. But nevertheless had a good crop. Carcasson Wight was the best, good, large white bulbs, Christo which was mixed success, and some supermarket bulbs which were a bit small. Serves me right, I suppose, as your not supposed to do that. 😕
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 22:09 »
I had to pull mine about a month early but I still got some decent sized heads.  Some of them produced scapes and others produced a second, smaller head above the soil line. I guess it was because of our harsh winter.  I think I'll try different varieties for next season. (Just gotta remember to buy them at the end of summer!).
image.jpg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 22:11 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 07:21 »
I grew Early Purple Wight and another I can't remember, but they look exactly the same. Last year they were hit early by rust and were quite small. This year I planted a bit further apart and they are a good size and have only just started to get rust, so I harvested them yesterday. I also left them in the ground too long last year, and the outer layers started to rot before I dug them up. Just got to work out what to do with 70 heads of garlic ::)

Audy70

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50 »
Early Purple Wight harvested.  They have done much better for me this year than when I grew them a few years ago.   Good size of bulb.  Pleased.
Provence Wight - a bit of a disappointment.  Now harvested and much smaller than expected.

Mine are the same, the Provence Wight are still in the ground as the one I pulled was very small, although it did taste amazing roasted with beetroot and potatoes.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 09:16 »
I grew early purple Wight which I pulled up 3 weeks ago and music which I pulled up a week ago. They both got covered in rust during the winter when they were small and practically orange when I pulled them but still got good bulbs on each. Have only eaten the purple Wight so far but it has a really good strength of flavour
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:48 by RJR_38 »

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34 »
First year we've ever managed a decent crop, I've usually either finished up with very small bulbs, or nothing at all...

The Christo romped away, while the Thermidrome took a long time to get going!

They eventually got to be 'neck and neck' (pun intended..:0() and we pulled the Christo first, and left the Thermidrome another few days, as it was still quite upright! Quite a lot of rust on the latter too, but no real problem.

It's all in the greenhouse drying out now.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 10:09 »
I've grown a lot of varieties this year (just a few cloves of each) as I got a bit carried away  :wub:  I've found early maturing garlic do better on my plot, late maturing always disappointing and often get hit with pests and diseases like rust before they are ready, so I wanted to see which varieties are better suited and made an extra special effort to prepare the ground and orientation of rows for better ventilation (to prevent rust).  This year it's been a mixed bag but I'm really pleased with Red Duke, Red Donetsk, Romanian Red, Therador, Albigensian Wight and Provence.  The Provence & Thermidrome were late purchases so planted in late winter/early spring - yes, bulb size were smaller than the original but still okay.  Disappointing were Avignon, Bella Italiano and Music with large losses due to rot  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 10:40 »
My un-named ex-supermarket garlic first planted about 5 years ago (yes, I know, but I was lucky and promise never to do it again  ::)) is looking good this year - no rust so far but still about a month to go (February planted.)

Still eating last year's crop, although I did decide not to push my luck storage-wise so roasted and then froze the remaining bulbs - I'll keep a few to squeeze onto home grown tomato salad (but not for a while yet, unfortunately.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic - help! What is it?

Started by MontyTom on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 10, 2006, 14:23
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 40 queries.