Coronavirus – A Cautionary Tale

• 11 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Coronavirus – A Cautionary Tale
« on: January 05, 2021, 10:43 »
We're really fortunate to live where we do, apart from anything else the infection rate is extremely low here. Less than 26 per 100,000. So no real need to worry?

A friend of my daughter lives with her aunt who is 92 years old and very vulnerable to Covid. She herself is just under 50, no underlying health conditions, so her concern is very much for her aunt. Because they're staying home so much, they're getting bored and they've read everything in the house including the ingredients labels on the tins in the store cupboard. My daughter offered her a pile of magazines that would have gone to recycling which was gratefully received.

So she drives over to my daughter, telephones from the car and waits at the kerbside – wearing a mask. My daughter comes out of the house, puts the box of magazines on the wall and they have a 5 minute chat. They're about 5 metres apart. Daughter goes inside, closes the door and her friend collects the magazines and heads home. All is well.

Two days later, she rings my daughter to tell her that they've both tested positive and she's terrified for her aunt. Now it turns out that auntie had gone for a walk and popped in the shop for something. It was auntie, the reason her niece has been living in lockdown since March, who's brought it into the house.

Now auntie does become ill, she describes it as being a bit of cold! It doesn't even force her to take to her bed. Not quite asymptomatic but very mild. My daughter's friend – fit and under 50 - however is really rough. Coughing, can't get her breath and feeling like she's been run over by a bus. Not bad enough for 999 but near.

What can we learn from this?

• You never know who may be infectious so be paranoid and assume everyone has it
  • Just because the statistics say you are more – or less – at risk doesn't mean much as an individual.

Stay safe.

mrs bouquet

Re: Coronavirus – A Cautionary Tale
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:18 »
A cautionary Tale indeed.     Hope they feel better soon.     Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:32 »
OH and I have more or less been in lockdown since the end of March and have only seen our local relatives a couple of times in the summer outside on the lawn. After that, we've only been out when necessary and the only people we've seen at the door are the postmen and delivery people. If she only popped into the shop etc then she, the shop or both mustn't have taken the proper precautions. My OH is at risk but those who aren't can catch it and be very ill. It's just not worth the risk no matter how bad you want company, hugs etc.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GraciesGran

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 16:32 »
Hope they feel better soon.  Daughter a fit 40 year old is coughing as if she smoked 60 a day, now tested negative but unable to shake it off

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 19:14 »
i hope they both feel better very soon and i wish them a speedy recovery I have to say I'm getting a bit fed up with those individuals who are just not bothered to put a mask on or keep to social distancing  >:(

there has been a lack of keeping to the rules many people visiting other households and new years eve parties and they say to me I'm alright its just you oldies who have to look out

grinling

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 20:19 »
If unable to get a breathe means call 999. The drugs given will help prevent it getting worse and require ICU.
Bigger picture is that all who has been in the shop will need to isolate as well as your daughter.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 22:12 »
Difficulty breathing, mm. Here, they tend to check your oxygen levels with a fingertip monitor, to determine the urgency of your treatment...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 00:55 »
Apparently Auntie is fine and niece improving day by day, thankfully. Point is, this rotten virus affects people very differently.
Most of the people who have died were over 80 but not all by any means and this long covid is no joke. The thing is we're getting conflicting signals. Better treatment regimes mean improved outcomes and the vaccine rollout shows the way out so people naturally feel they can relax and take chances despite the infection surge that signals now is not the time to relax and let down our guard.
Strangely I keep seeing parallels between the pandemic and WW2. Imagine in 1945 - the war is all but over bar the shouting then the V1 and V2 missiles arrived. The vaccine arrives and then the mutant strain..
People thought things would get back to normal after VJ day but it took many years before that happened. The economy recovered eventually recovered but it took 60 years to pay off the war debt.
Which all goes to show the resilience of people in the end.

al78

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:14 »
Apparently Auntie is fine and niece improving day by day, thankfully. Point is, this rotten virus affects people very differently.
Most of the people who have died were over 80 but not all by any means and this long covid is no joke. The thing is we're getting conflicting signals. Better treatment regimes mean improved outcomes and the vaccine rollout shows the way out so people naturally feel they can relax and take chances despite the infection surge that signals now is not the time to relax and let down our guard.
Strangely I keep seeing parallels between the pandemic and WW2. Imagine in 1945 - the war is all but over bar the shouting then the V1 and V2 missiles arrived. The vaccine arrives and then the mutant strain..
People thought things would get back to normal after VJ day but it took many years before that happened. The economy recovered eventually recovered but it took 60 years to pay off the war debt.
Which all goes to show the resilience of people in the end.

Wars ultimately stimulate economic activity through the quantity of stuff that has to be rebuilt and replaced. After WWII, the European rail networks were so badly damaged it was easier to start again with modern technology. The UK decided to repair its ageing infrastructure and was slow to modernise, hence why we lag behind Europe. With COVID, the economy will ultimately recover, people aren't going to stop wanting to go to pubs, eat out, go on holiday, go on day trips, shopping etc, so the hospitality industry will slowly recover, not without a few casualties though.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 10:19 »
Our local pub has had to close except for takeaways, but they've also opened a shop for a few days each week.

When we moved here in 1977, (The Moor end of the village, not the top end, known as Highgate, a mile away), there were three grocers, (one with an off-licence, a clothes department and haberdashers), a post office, a huge ironmongers and garden implements place, a butcher, a DIY place, a TV repair shop, a jewellers, a hairdressers, two pubs, a dairy and a couple of farm shops a mile or so away.

Now we have just one pub, and a wine shop, so the small retail part of the pub makes all the difference to oldies like us, who just want a pint of milk and some decent cheese with some superb local rolls!

That's what Covid has done to our end of the village, although I still have to brave the small supermarkets and chemist we have at the top, but most folk are being pretty careful these days...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:20 by Growster... »

Christine

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 12:16 »
Good time to be training a repaired knee, other than the health visitor who came to take out the stitches yesterday this bungalow is a mainly no go area.

The local family appears sort of on request but they don't want to go near anyone in case they have to return to caring duties for the other "grandparent" over in Cumbria - at the moment in hospital and possibly after that into hospice type care.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 12:13 »
I thought this, aimed at anti-mask people, put the point across very strongly

covidnurse.jpg

xx
A Christmas tale...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

46 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:58
by Growster...
xx
A Winter's Tale

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post December 24, 2018, 12:51
by mrs bouquet
xx
What a tragic tale.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2018, 14:31
by Goosegirl
xx
Read this tale of woe, for a laugh.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2024, 08:49
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 51 queries.