Should I repot lupins and hollyhocks?

• 6 Replies

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Should I repot lupins and hollyhocks?
« on: October 06, 2010, 14:54 »
I grew some lupins and hollyhocks from seed earlier in the year. I sowed the seeds in modules, then when the plants were big enough, I potted them on into 3 inch pots. They're now quite a bit bigger and some of them have roots coming out of the bottom of their pots, although they're not potbound (at least, I don't think they are: I took a few out of the pots to have a look, and the pots aren't full of roots wrapping round in circles).

Should I pot them on again before the winter, or leave them in the 3 inch pots until the Spring? I want the plants to grow to a reasonable size before I plant them in the garden, which will give them a fighting chance against the attentions of my free-range chickens and peacocks.

Any advice appreciated!

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Should I repot lupins and hollyhocks?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 21:08 »
To be honest I'm not sure if it makes much difference whether you pot them on now, or in spring. As it's now getting colder, the plants aren't going to grow much at all so they could stay in the pots they're in now, but, if you repot, then when it warms up next spring, they've got more room in their bigger pots to have a growth spurt with out being restricted - six of one, half a dozen of the other! Hopefully someone else will give an opinion! Jude.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 22:34 »
I'd leave them till spring..........but make sure you catch them early, just as they start to grow again.
I have quite a few perennials overwintering in smallish pots, so that's what I'm doing.
Fingers crossed the winter is not too hard.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 22:15 »
Thanks for the advice.

I'm quite happy to keep them in the small pots, as they're all in those pot-holder tray thingies, so much easier to move around than if they were in bigger pots. If it gets really cold, I can put them somewhere sheltered.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 00:57 »
If they are in a cold frame i would leave them in the 3in pots, but if not i would pot them on so they have some soil to protect the roots from frost.

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 22:17 »
If they are in a cold frame i would leave them in the 3in pots, but if not i would pot them on so they have some soil to protect the roots from frost.

At the moment, they are outside on some racking, but I could move them into the greenhouse when the weather turns colder. Would they be OK there in their 3-inch pots, do you think?

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 22:19 »
Greenhouse should be fine.

xx
Hollyhocks, what to do?

Started by Blackpool rocket on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post September 19, 2015, 08:43
by New shoot
xx
Hollyhocks.

Started by Nige2Plots on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2011, 15:59
by catllar
xx
Help my Hollyhocks have rust again !!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Broadhaven on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 19:54
by monsta
xx
Rust on Hollyhocks

Started by Greendream on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 11:45
by Greendream

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.