Dahlias broken when sent by post

• 11 Replies

JohnB47

Dahlias broken when sent by post
« on: March 26, 2010, 18:09 »
Hi.

I've just received three dahlias in the post and they were each packed in a plastic bag, with no compost and in a box big enough to let them rattle around (no bubble wrap or anything). They look a bit dry and one has had two tubers broken off, the others have the link between tubers and main stem a bit bent and twisted. The tubers feel firm but not totally dry (they give a little - like sqeezing a seed potato).

I'll pot them on as directed but I wonder:

1. will they grow as usual - or should they be in better shape?
2. could I plant the broken off tubers and get seperate plants?

I think I'll let the seller know the state they're in, just in case they don't flourish.

Thanks.

Yabba

Re: Dahlias broken when sent by post
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 18:35 »
Dump the dry ones in some water for a tad, they'll (hopefully ) rehydrate.

Drop them, and all the others in a shallow tray and roughly cover with compost, water them and sit back. They'll either root and throw cuttings or they won't.

Note : ours are in an unheated greenhouse with heated beds (blackpool), pick somewhere appropriate for your weather to put yours

I'd let the seller know anyway, they should have been packed better. No soil is cool, that's how we send ours, dry and rattling isn't cool.

¥

JohnB47

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 19:58 »
Thanks for the advice, which I will follow.

I'll let the seller know and I'll repost here if/when they show signs of growth.

Thanks again.

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 17:07 »
Hi. Me again.

The two intact tubers started growing about 10 days ago  - they have about 3" of growth now. I told the seller about the problem with the other one, which appears to be dead and they've sent me another. It arrived today, looking just as dried as the others but with some shoots showing. I planted it quickly in moist compost, so it should be OK.

When planting that one, I decided to use the pot and compost that I'd used to pot up the broken off tubers. I'd kept this moist until I was told that they wouldn't grow (see Edit below) but when I dug them up I found lots of roots coming from each one (at the end that would have been connected to the central stem). Does this mean that they will start producing shots and will be new plants? I've repotted them just to see.

What do you think?

Edit: I think I discovered a post or article somewhere on the internet saying that the fat tubers were just food stores and wouldn't produce new plants if separated from the main stem and potted up. I've just seen a separate post on this forum that seems to contradict this. People seem to be talking about splitting the plant up and potting the tubers individually.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 17:31 by JohnB47 »

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 18:04 »
Good to hear you got a replacement.

I'd have sent you some of ours but we're fighting a (soil) disease and I'm not prepared to take the risk until we've killed it ... which is gonna take a few years, if we're lucky :(

As a very general rule, you need part of the stem when splitting tubers, the shoots come from the "joint" between them.

Your "growth" can be used for cuttings, each one can become a new plant, this thread should help @link Planting Dahlia Tubers

¥

JohnB47

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 20:15 »
Thanks Yabba and thanks also for the offer.

So, if the tubers I've planted are producing roots, does that mean they'll produce shoots and hence new plants? Or are they only going to produce roots?

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 18:21 »
Chances are they'll just grow roots.

Something you *may* wish to try with those tubers : Some people swear that cutting the tuber with a scalpel/knife will make it throw shoots from the cut. We've obviously never managed to obtain the perfect cut, because it's never worked for us, but some growers swear it works ;)

¥

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 19:51 »
Thanks Yabba. I might just try that with one of them. Hope you solve your soil disease problem.

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 20:26 »
We'll solve it because we have "brute force and ignorance" on our side, especially ignorance :D ... and a shedload of chemicals and all sorts of other fancy stuff

We'll still be pretty damn lucky if it only takes a few years.

If you do manage to get shoots by cutting the tubers, could you take photos so we can amend our cutting angle? ;)

¥

JohnB47

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 13:34 »
"If you do manage to get shoots by cutting the tubers, could you take photos so we can amend our cutting angle?"

Hmmm. Sorry, don't get that. Cutting angle?

Yabba

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 17:45 »
Sorry, I was being facetious. We've never managed to be successful with cutting tubers to encourage shoots, no matter how much other growers rave about it.

Still, I'd try it with those tubers, you've nothing to lose ;)

¥

JohnB47

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 13:04 »
Ah, I see.

Well, I'll give it a go.

Cheers.

xx
Dahlias

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 18:16
by Yabba
xx
Dahlias

Started by big green bloke on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 08:27
by Yabba
xx
Dahlias

Started by Babstreefern on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 00:50
by Paul Plots
xx
Dahlias

Started by andy dewar on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 18:54
by jaydig

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.