Damson in distress?

• 6 Replies

timdunn

Damson in distress?
« on: May 15, 2013, 13:14 »
Hello,

I planted a bareroot Damson Merryweather in late March and it has still to show any signs of bursting bud.

I've checked several points on the tree with a scrape test and its very green and also scraped a bud off and this is also green and healthy looking. Is anyone having similar problems/when did your Damson come into leaf?

Perhaps it's just down to the eternal winter we seem to be having; or Damson are always on the late side; or could there be a more sinister reason :unsure:?

Have looked online but there seems to be scant information concerning when fruit trees come into leaf - possibly a future poll on this site?

Thanks!

simonwatson

Re: Damson in distress?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 13:19 »
I moved some gooseberry bushes this year. As a result they are about a month behind some others on the same plot that I didn't move. Just give them some more time if they're still green inside.

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 16:40 »
I planted a Damson Merryweather last year too (and then moved it in the autumn as I had finally cleared the space for its permanent home), I thought I had killed it, but it has started to leaf up just over the last week, so I should think yours will be okay. I think that they are late this year though anyway. :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 17:45 »
given your location, I'm apt to think it is still in winter/early spring mode - have a look round at other (non fruit) trees in your area, and if they are still bare then it is just too cold.  Better if it stays as a bud rather than open and there are no insects around to pollinate

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 23:46 »
The RHS reckons the season is 20 days behind this year. I reckon that's even more now, given the snow they had in Devon & Cornwall!
You've got nothing to  lose by waiting and seeing

viettaclark

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 00:03 »
My  damson has flowered but the leaves are still waiting to burst. And I'm in the South. Give it some time......

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 14:09 »
given your location, I'm apt to think it is still in winter/early spring mode - have a look round at other (non fruit) trees in your area, and if they are still bare then it is just too cold.  Better if it stays as a bud rather than open and there are no insects around to pollinate

I agree - you're very northerly!
I planted a bareroot Victoria plum last year and it budded, flowered and then got frosted. I got one plum.
I figured that was just the shock of planting and first year and stuff.

Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot out of it this year, what with the weather an' all.
Second year however and my plum is bursting with life.

I think fruit trees just take a lot of patience - like asparagus! ::) :D

xx
Squash vines in distress

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 08:29
by Quetzal
xx
damson

Started by griff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 11:21
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Damson

Started by Gwiz on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 17, 2012, 11:07
by lazza
xx
Damson

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2014, 12:25
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.