Plot Eviction

• 8 Replies

phelantank

Plot Eviction
« on: August 24, 2020, 21:37 »
Hi, I was just looking for a bit of advice please. I took over an allotment in Oct 19 on a 3 month probation. I worked hard to clear the plot and successfully grew lots of potatoes, onions, shallots, garlic, broccoli, leeks and beetroot. I loved being on the allotment.

In April however, it became harder for me to spend as much time on the plot as I am a key worker. Given the virus and my job role, the past 4.5 months have been really challenging. I have had to work substantially increased hours, including weekends, due to the impact of the virus, which is outside of my control. Up until today, I have not even managed to take annual leave.

The downside to this was, although I still visited the plot when I could, it was nowhere near the volume I was visiting up to and including April 2020. As a result, the plot has started to become overgrown. Late last week I received a letter out of the blue from the site allotment society telling me that following a plot inspection they were terminating my plot, basically throwing me off site, because the plot wasnt up to standard. This came completely out of the blue, prior to this there had been no formal communication of concerns form the site society.

I contacted the site society outlining my reasons why I couldn't attend as much as I wished, and how I wished to continue, however I have been informed that their decision is final.

With regards my probation, I was informed it would be 3 months, then a decision would be made. The site society has never communicated to inform me if I was off probation or not. If not, I have been on probation for 10 months.

I am upset with this as I was initially making very good progress but the virus, and my job as a key worker, really impacted my ability to be on the plot. This, in my eyes at least, is something completely out of my control, I am not sure what else I could have done given the pandemic.

So I was just wondering, am I able to even appeal this and if so how would I go about doing this? And help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to lose my plot  :(

Many thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Plot Eviction
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 21:40 »
Is it a council plot or an informal arrangement?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

phelantank

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 21:44 »
Hi Yorkie, I think ultimately it sits with the city council but is run by the site allotment society. When I signed up in October all of the paperwork was specific to the allotment society on site as oppose to City Council branded documentation, if that makes sense?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 22:17 »
It's a tricky one, because ultimately it's your responsibility to maintain the plot within the standards set by your tenancy, and to take steps to arrange for that to happen if you can't do so e.g. someone else to help you out.  I assume you didn't tell them about the difficulties you were having in getting down to the plot before you got the letter?

However, I would expect there to have been a warning system rather than a fait accompli without warning, particularly as you were given to understand that any probationary period had ended - or at least had not been told it had been extended.  Presumably they will argue that as they hadn't told you it had ended, it was still in existence... 

The council has a duty to ensure that all people are treated fairly and this does not appear to have happened.  For example, what if you had a disability which had impacted on your ability to garden?  A failure to take that into account could amount to disability discrimination.  So their approach really does leave them open to difficulties.  The council can arrange for others to manage the sites on its behalf, but I don't think it can sign away its statutory responsibility for provision of allotments, which has to be done in a non-discriminatory way (cite the Public Sector Equality Duty to them).  Just because it doesn't necessarily apply to you, doesn't mean that it's not an argument you could make - the process is inherently unfair.  The council has to have some means of appeal otherwise anyone is at risk of arbitrary decisions being made.

Secondly, of course, you've been busy as a key worker and whilst that's not a reason they're obliged to take into account for not gardening your plot, it's certainly worth pursuing based on this basis.

Cleary the site secretary is not interested in changing their mind.  They may well have re-let your plot already.  In your position, I'd not waste any more time with them and move your lines of appeal to: 1) the council member in charge of parks and open spaces, allotments, or whatever it's called for your local council; 2) your local councillor; and 3) your MP.  It's not good press to kick a key worker off their allotment when they've not had time to take leave, let alone spend the amount of time at the plot that others who might not have been key workers have managed to do during lockdown and/or furlough.

Good luck!

phelantank

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 22:59 »
Yorkie, what a fabulous response, thank you so much, I really do appreciate your reply and your advice.

I was absolutely gutted when I received the letter, really upset, hence why I am looking for advice. I am aware the site has become overgrown and totally understand their concerns, but it is not because I can't be bothered or don't want to be there. It's purely down to the current unprecedented situation and my job role. I can't exactly turn round and say to my employer, guys I know its a deadly virus, and I know our operations, which affect millions of people, have been severely impacted. And i know our operations have been deemed to be critical to society by the government......but I need to go now and tend to my allotment plot. Morally, the correct thing to do was to work my backside off to support others throughout this pandemic and that is what I have been doing. I am exhausted.

With regards to escalating how busy I had been, I hadn't formally escalated to the society because I wasn't sure if I needed too. A few weeks ago I did have an informal chat with one of the society members and I told him I was struggling. He responded by saying they were not too concerned this year, just keep doing what you can. So up until the letter I had no idea there was a problem. With normality slowly starting to return I was really looking forward to spending more time on the plot.

The site had, at one stage, gone to a 1 person only policy and apart from my wife, who has chronic back and hip pain, I have nobody to call on. My wife is also a key worker.

As for the probation, I feel that 10 months, without any formal decision is unacceptable.

I just feel that I am being punished for something which is out of my control. If I wasn't a key worker, or had been furloughed, then I could have spent an excessive period of time on the plot.

I will follow your advice and thank you so much. I do worry though, if I was successful in my appeal, that I would not feel welcome on the site but let's see how it goes.

Many thanks and take care.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 03:26 »
It might also be an idea, if you are successful in retaining your plot, to arrange to cover uncultivated areas until you are able to begin working on them again.  This will prevent other plotholders from being inundated with weed seeds, and will also make life much easier for you when you uncover each section as you are able to deal with it, as the covering will kill off many of the weeds for you.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 15:04 »
What a rotten thing to happen to you especially as you're a key worker in this unprecedented pandemic. I totally agree with everything Yorkie said, so write down your experiences and what was said from the start, get in touch with those people and, if it were me, I'd jolly well inform the local newspaper as well just to show them up publicly!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 16:19 »
It's been a difficult year for those of us on committees who have to keep allotment sites up to standard. I know cos I'm the one that has to write the letters after the inspection teams have been round.

We have four different sites and two of them have active site reps, one has a good community that lets us know where there are problems and the other used to have good site representation but that's gone down hill with the change of committee over the years. So usually the committee knows if there are problems such as key working, family illness, financial difficulties. The only difficult situation is where the tenant dies, we aren't told and the family doesn't want to hand back the allotment till they have taken off "stuff" which can take months. With resulting dire consequences.

Our tenancy specifies so much cultivated after three months rising to so much at the end of the year and thereafter. Usually a letter pointing this out and giving a maximum of a month's notice brings the tenant up to the trading hut where the committee is easily contacted or contact through our email system or Facebook. Usually this allows us to negotiate an agreement about getting the allotment back into order or finding a face saving reason to let the tenant leave without a dispute.

We do have a system for dealing with appeals against evictions - no-one gets turned off if they wish to come and plead their case before the committee. If they don't like our decision they can then appeal to the town council (that usually scares them into improvement or handing in the keys).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 19:25 »
What a rotten thing to happen to you especially as you're a key worker in this unprecedented pandemic. I totally agree with everything Yorkie said, so write down your experiences and what was said from the start, get in touch with those people and, if it were me, I'd jolly well inform the local newspaper as well just to show them up publicly!

I would advise against this.  It can get out of control and is, at least while you may have a chance of persuading them to let you back, likely to put their backs up and have undesired consequences.

xx
Appeal against eviction

Started by Pimento on Chatting on the Plot

28 Replies
Last post January 23, 2022, 17:14
by mumofstig
clip
Eviction From My Allotment

Started by Andrew Philip Cocking on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2022, 15:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
Has the BBC lost the plot?

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 22:01
by al78
xx
Plot Etiquette

Started by theplotbegins on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 09:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 48 queries.