Help sought with rose problem

• 9 Replies

tallulah

Help sought with rose problem
« on: March 04, 2012, 08:12 »
I planted what I thought was going to be a stunning showpiece of a rose in my front garden about 4 years ago.  Its a Brother Cadfael.  Each year it offers up to 4 or 5 blooms, very weedy ones at that.  The growth is not vigorous, and in general it is a pathetic specimen.  I feed it at appropriate times, prune it, add manure, and still it won't perform.  The only other thing I can think of is that I'm not watering it enough.  It sits in full sun from noon onwards.  Any thoughts as to how I can boost this rose's performance?  Funnily enough I have some ground cover roses in the front that are rampant, and more like climbers, full of blooms for 10 months of the year.  But there are other roses, right at the edge of the house, that are a bit miserable.  Brother Cadfael is in a circular bed with fuschia and an apple tree (recently resited there).  Maybe too much competition for nutrients? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help sought with rose problem
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48 »
it certainly won't appreciate competition from tree roots  :(
It should cope with fuchsias as long as they are not the big shrub ones, and not planted too near.
I think these modern roses, unless you have perfect soil (like Monty Don :dry:) really only like a low under-planting, rather than being treated like a shrub in a mixed border. For that you need the stron growing old bush roses, but that's just my opinion ;)
I have a few Austen roses that grow really well, but also one near the house that under-performs, despite my best attempts! Each year it is on a last warning  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 09:19 »
Had there been roses in the same position in the garden before you planted it there?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

tallulah

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 16:36 »
No, no roses there before.  The apple tree is a miniature, and the fuschia is not large.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 17:31 »
Hmm.  When and how are you pruning it?  What are you feeding it with?

tallulah

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 18:17 »
Generally prune at this time of year, and feed with a proprietary rose food.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 18:53 »
... and feed with a proprietary rose food.

There lies the problem - you're trying to feed the plant and not the soil, which is far more important to feed. Rose feed does cover a wide range of chemical elements, but its not truly a complete food. Add a yearly 'mulch' of well rotted manure (horse is best if you can get it) and do water regularly. Hybrid roses are demanding prima donnas and must have specific things in order to perform well.

The last few years I've gotten hold of alfalfa horse pellets/cubes and let them soak in some water until they turn into mush. I then spread this around the rose plants (you can never be too heavy handed with alfalfa mush), then water in, and keep the plant watered through the summer. Only in spring do I sprinkle a handful of rose food around the plant, right before I add the manure and mush. I've had some pretty wonderful roses and irises  since I started doing this.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 18:59 »
I have a few Austen roses that grow really well, but also one near the house that under-performs, despite my best attempts! Each year it is on a last warning  :lol:

Certainly been there Mum (still am!)

I've got Graham Thomas grown as a "short 8' climber" (as it says you can do in the DA catalogue) although "he" obviously sees himself as a 12' climber!  :ohmy:

Jubilee Celebration and Golden Celebration share a bed in the front garden with "Summer Song" - the first two perform really well every year but SS has been on a final warning for about 5 years now (the only thing that saves it is that the few flowers it does have the strength to produce are absolutely fabulous!)  ;)

Sometimes you have to consider moving a rose to a position that might suit it better or just give it up as one of those things.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

tallulah

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 21:01 »
Thanks for advice Trillium.  I shall work more on soil condition, but it will be on its last warning this year!

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:24 »
Just a thought - how well did you prepare the ground first, by that I mean did you give it a good, deep dig before planting? There just might be something below the roots holding it back. If unsure, you could always dig it up to see what's happening, give it a top prune and also the roots, remove the soil where it was, and replace with fresh before re-planting and feeding. A bit drastic and a faff, but it might work, or just a warning may be sufficient.  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Rose problem

Started by WeavingGryphon on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2020, 22:25
by jezza
clip
Rose Problem

Started by carlrmj on General Gardening

14 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 12:28
by simpson-allen
xx
Planting New Rose on Old Rose Site

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 20:24
by sion01
xx
idea's sought...

Started by Porffor on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 13:18
by Ruby Red

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 40 queries.