Wine made out of Veggies

• 23 Replies

SkipRat

Wine made out of Veggies
« on: February 25, 2007, 21:19 »
Hello,
        After getting my lottie last week, this week I was given a stack of brewing equipment. I,m keen to brew wine, and was wondering if anyone can suggest any recipies/web sites that use vegetables ie cabbage , potato, etc. Good site this, keep up the good work.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

WG.

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 23:15 »
Parsnip wine turned out pretty well for me a while back.  If I find the recipe, I'll post it.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 07:45 »
You should get a great book by C.J.J.Berry called "First steps in winemaking" It's a really good book which describes how to make wine and also tells which wine to make each month using the in season veg and fruit at the time.
Last year i made, rice and raison, parsnip, elderflower, marrow, potato, plum, apple and pear, carrot and banana wine. This year i intend to make more.
Let me know which veg you want to use and i will put up the recipe  :D

Here are some site i visit.

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/index.html

http://freespace.virgin.net/roger.simmonds/dear.htm

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/suttonelms/WINE1.HTML

http://www.pcurtis.com/homewine.htm

http://www.thewinepages.org.uk/begin.htm

WG.

Re: Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 08:02 »
Quote from: "SkipRat"
I,m keen to brew wine, and was wondering if anyone can suggest any recipies/web sites that use vegetables ie cabbage , potato, etc. Good site this, keep up the good work.

Cabbage wine!  Naw, I thought ... nevertheless Google turned this up for you http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques59.asp   They look alright but I might be tempted to omit the cabbage.  Delighted if you can prove otherwise skiprat, let us all know.

Isprinsessan

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 08:47 »
Wow legendary one you really are legendary. I can't believe you made all those types of wine !! Amazin

What tasted the best ? Did you know the alcohol content? Sorry but given my location I had to ask this  :wink:
“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
― Henry Ford

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 09:07 »
It was only my first year so i went a but mad  :wink:
So far we have tried the rice and raison, parsnip, plum, elderflower. The rest are still ageing. The best was the rice and raison, plum and elderflower. The parsnip is a bit dry, i forgot to add on the last post that i also did pumpkin wine but that was a bit dry as well, i need to work on that. I haven't tested to see what the alcohol content is but i believe between 15 -20 % would be average  :wink:

Ann

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 18:58 »
I would recommend the CJ Berry book, also if you can find one the Boots homebrew book.  Lots of ideas for fruit and veg wine in there too.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 22:04 »
we use cjberry book aswell, you can buy a gadget what you put a drop of wine in and it gives you alcohol content in minutes. strawberry wine is lovely bit like pop

SkipRat

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 18:08 »
Thanks for all the advice, just need to wait while the allotment starts providing me with surplus fruit and veg. I could always buy bargains down at my local market till then  :lol:

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 09:15 »
I give C.J.J.Berry's a big thumbs-up too, my very first wine was a recipe from this book- Elderberry & Runner Bean, I over did it on the ripe elderberies and it came out very tannic and full bodied, a bit of a bruiser.

It was two years before it was any where near pleasent to drink and will probably improve for another fifty!  :wink:
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Isprinsessan

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 10:14 »
Just ordered CJ Berry book on Amazon. Thanks for the info! Looking forward to some experimenting :) I'd always believed that homemade wines were undrinkable in the opinion of any one other than the person who made it!

Mrs.Veg

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 15:16 »
Anyone got any recipes for carrot wine?  Ta. :D

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 17:06 »
Quote from: "Mrs.Veg"
Anyone got any recipes for carrot wine?  Ta. :D

4lb carrots
1 lb Bananas
1 1/2lb raisins
1 tsp tartaric acid
1 tsp malic acid
1 tsp grape tannin
1 3/4lb sugar
1 tsp pectolase
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 vit b1 tablet
Yeast

METHOD:
Make up the Yeast starter
Wash and scrub the carrots or parsnips,slice thinly and place in a saucepan with 7 pints of cold water(or boil the kettle to save time ).Skin the Bananas,slice finely and add to the carrots. Boil for 30 mins without the lid.Strain from the pulp and leave to settle. After 24 hrs syphon the clear liquid leaving behind the sediment, add the sugar (in sugar syrup form)up to a starting SG of 1090 and the rest of the adjuncts.
Then add the yeast starter fit the airlock. If youre wanting a dry wine then top up once the ferment subsides with a mixture of water and sugar syrup to the same SG reading at the time 1020 is ideal and allow to ferment out to dryness.
If wishing to feed with the remainder of the sugar syrup then allow the ferment to drop to 1000 and add enough sugar syrup to take the SG back up to 1010, repeat process until level of Alcohol kills of the yeast.

Courtesy of winesathome.net

Isprinsessan

Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 17:58 »
SG .. ermm is this specific gravity ? What is this and how can you check it. Where can you buy the thingy to measure it? Also where can you get the alcohol measuring whatsit Ta all  :)

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Wine made out of Veggies
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 18:08 »
Quote from: "Isprinsessan"
SG .. ermm is this specific gravity ? What is this and how can you check it. Where can you buy the thingy to measure it? Also where can you get the alcohol measuring whatsit Ta all  :)

Answers galore-

HERE.

:wink:

xx
wine made from jam recipe

Started by Fredjones on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 20:47
by DD.
xx
Anyone know about home made wine? We have a problem...

Started by janeheritage on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 20:36
by Stripey_cat
xx
How can i make my wine sweeter - and I need half size bottles for wine.

Started by composthappens on Homebrew

10 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 23:39
by Jackypam
xx
wine?

Started by asd1 on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 21:03
by Silkworm

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 39 queries.