Brazen Fox visit

• 10 Replies

Kym503

• Experienced Member
Brazen Fox visit
« on: June 09, 2008, 14:29 »
After a final check on my girls last night I found a scene of total carnage this morning.  A fox had entered the run and somehow broken through a 5ft pane of glass in my greenhouse and killed my 5 chickens.  I should add the chicken run runs alongside the greenhouse - the glass making one of the sides of the run.
I know that nothing is ever 100% fox proof but I really thought my set up was at least 98% safe!  Has anyone ever heard of a fox breaking glass to get at chickens???

One little ray of hope - Geri, my broody hen is safe.  I finally found her 2 x day old chicks last week and they were locked away safely in another area.  However I dread to think what dreadful noises they must have been subjected to - poor little things.  Just my luck now if they both turn out to be roosters.

A very sad day for us here in North Kent.   :cry:

Kym

Porffor

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 14:49 »
So sorry for the loss of your hens. :( I'm really new to hen keeping so can't advise on the glass, but i'm sure the others will soon. :)

Really pleased that your chicks are safe and their mum.

too many girls

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 16:19 »
really sorry to hear about your hens, a fox killed one of our pet lambs last week, we've been out every night with a gun but as yet he hasn't come back, woe betide him when he does..............bang bang your dead.

Kate and her Ducks

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 17:35 »
Really sorry to hear about your loss. I'm not an expert but I too would have thought that they would ahve been safe. :cry:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

violet

• Experienced Member
Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 19:08 »
So, so sorry...thankfully never had this happen.. it must have been a traumatic time this morning for you...

Vember

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 19:12 »
So sorry how awful for you

:cry:

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 21:32 »
Really sorry.  My run also runs one side along my green house so I also thought this would be safe, maybe I need to get weld meshing.  I have a fox scanning the perimeter of my garden most days, its not bothered by me at all,it just ignores me and sprays everywhere.

Bodger

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 08:29 »
I too, would have thought that from the description of your run, that you would have been safe. :shock:

poultrygeist

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:58 »
Can only imagine that something must have fallen and smashed the glass, maybe even from the other side ?

I do worry that our run wouldn't survive an attack. Weldmesh all round but not completely covered over except by flimsy netting.

You can only do so much so don't blame yourself.

rob

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:07 »
awwwwwww so sorry to hear your sad news. bloomin foxes dont think anything is ever totally fox proof like has been said  you can  just do  your best.

viks chicks

Brazen Fox visit
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 14:13 »
Poor you! Sorry that you had to wake up to that! Horrid fox.

xx
first fox visit

Started by andyoak on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 07:30
by shetan
xx
A visit to the vet

Started by Fat Hen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2007, 20:49
by hermon
xx
A visit from Mr Fox.

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 19:51
by Frizzle1
xx
Mr Fox made a visit

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2007, 17:10
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 30 queries.