What should I show on?

• 8 Replies

gardenreg

What should I show on?
« on: July 16, 2012, 13:26 »
I am going to enter my first show this August and I am unsure as to what to use to show my veg. The class description just says 3 potatoes, 3 tomatoes etc. Should I use a plain white dinner plate or would paper/plastic ones do?

As for the veg themselves, do I leave any stem on the onions and should the tomatoes be left on the vine?

Any help would be appreciated.

mattwragg94

Re: What should I show on?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 14:34 »
well my local show provides the plates and stands that you show your veg on, so maybe yours does too? Cant you ask someone who enters?

As for the onions, they idealy need to be air dryed - i pull mine a few weeks before my local show (im planning on doing it on the 1st of august this year as my shows on the 19th/20th). when the onion is dry i trim the dryish stem down to around 1 inch, then i bend it over half way so that i have a half inch stump. Then i rap raffia around the bent stem (this is the usual way to show them). Oh and at my local show we stand our onions on 'cut down' cardboard rolls  ;)

As for the toms - yes you need to leave a little bit of stem on the tomato, but i never show mine on the vine (but thats just my preferance)

i hope thats answered your question

P.s. different shows have different rules regarding showing - but the majority of shows have similar guides. - but if i where you i would just double check with someone who enters/organises the show
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 14:35 by mattwragg94 »

gardenreg

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 15:05 »
Thank you for your reply, it's very useful. I will see if I can track someone down at the allotment this week. My show is the 18th August so I will follow your advice and lift my onions on the 1st. Thanks again.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 15:42 »
You can put your potatoes etc on paper plates. Also peas, beans etc. but follow instructions in the Show Schedule.

Read the show schedule carefully. Onion classes are either dressed, as Matt describes (if you cut off at about 3 inches it is easier to bend over and bind and cut off any excess afterwards), or trimmed (shortened), which is cut off and left. It may tell you the maximim height above the bulb to cut.

Onion classed are often divided into under 250g each and over 250g each. Judges are strict and will disqualify for over or under weight. Roots should be cut off. As Matt says, they show nicely if you stand them each on a ring. Kitchen paper cardboard tubes cut into 1 inch lengths work well. Improve the look by painting them.

gardenreg

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 18:20 »
Thanks Salmo :-)

carrotfaggot

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 10:12 »
If the schedule doesn't specifically say you can't do it, try and spread a layer of silver sand or vermiculite on the paper plate and set your tomatoes on this...it stops them rolling about.

Cut the stalk of the tomato 1/2" or so past the 'knuckle'. Your three tomatoes can come from 3 different plants. Make sure they are all the same size with no blemishes, nicely coloured, ripe but firm and the calyces are nice and fresh. Ideal size is about 65mm diameter but don't be afraid to put smaller ones in if they're uniform.

Onions need to be ripened and as has already been said you need to get them up at least 3 weeks before your show, strip back any split skins, top and tail and store on fresh sawdust until just before the show. I favour tying the top and then cutting rather than bending the top over first. I just think it looks nicer.

If your schedule just says 3 onions, 3 tomatoes it sounds a pretty low key affair so I wouldn't get too hung up on rules and regulations at this point. Just enjoy it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:13 by carrotfaggot »

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 14:39 »

I favour tying the top and then cutting rather than bending the top over first. I just think it looks nicer.

Just to clarify. Is that binding round the stem and cutting straight across with no bend. Does it cound as dressed or trimmed? I am sure you have a photo to illustrate.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 14:43 by Salmo »

carrotfaggot

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 16:21 »
Not my onions, but this is the sort of thing you're looking for when tying the tops. These are dressed and trimmed. Keep it nice and simple.

If it says 'as grown' exhibit with leaves and roots but please make sure you get all the old soil off and any rotten bits of foliage to save the judge's clothes getting soiled.
CLASS-3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 16:23 by carrotfaggot »

gardenreg

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 19:24 »
Thanks so much for all your answers. I am entering the novice classes as it is my first show so, as carrotfaggot says, probably not too much to worry about and I'll definitely enjoy it.  :)

clip
First Show

Started by Mr Dog on The Show Bench

8 Replies
Last post October 27, 2019, 12:56
by Pauly1958
xx
My first show!!

Started by Cheshire Phill on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 17:04
by muckyboots
xx
Local show

Started by mosser on The Show Bench

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2012, 10:16
by carrotfaggot
xx
show onions

Started by seedman on The Show Bench

33 Replies
Last post January 06, 2012, 14:12
by seedman

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 39 queries.