Blowers final over

• 15 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Blowers final over
« on: June 23, 2017, 11:34 »
Have just heard that Henry Blofeld is hanging up his TMS microphone this summer.
His last 'stint' is scheduled to be England V West Indies at Lords.

Apologies my post suggested he'd passed away!!! 
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Aled

Re: Blowers final over
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 15:52 »
What! No ashes series without Blowers, house painting will become hell again...no I had heard, a bit sad the end of an era. Good luck to him in the future. I for one will miss him.
It was really sad when Bill Maclaren retired from rugby commentary back in the early 00's. Some Welsh fans carried a banner saying "Bill Maclaren is Welsh" at his last game, a real show of affection to a great commentator.
Cheers
Aled

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 16:41 »
I too will miss Blowers. One of a kind, the dear old thing, is.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 17:31 »
Yes, I'll miss the old boy and the ever so gentle mickey-taking that he accepts with such good grace

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 20:28 »
The buses outside Lords will lower their windscreen wipers...

He was desperately ill several years ago, and I was so pleased when he returned, full of his fabulous enjoyment of such a great game.

Like Johnners and CMJ, we lose the best names in cricket, and if only the BBC had kept TMS going for normal folk who don't have a spaceship on their roof, the world would be a better place...

My dear dad would have the TV on every time there was a Test Match. He'd be out in the garden, mowing, weeding etc, then pop in for a can of 'gardening beer' and ten minutes of cricket, then pop out and carry on the jobs outside.

Not the same now, so hopefully its Aggers i/c and he's great too, so stand up for a fast/medium 'Googly Chinaman Offspin Tweaker' My Man...

I miss watching cricket on TV these days - I don't like to pay for the trashy stuff the BBC put on any more.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 21:52 »
I don't have the facility to watch cricket on my TVs either Growster, but actually I have always preferred to listen to TMS. I plug my ears in and clip my little radio to my belt and I'm as happy as Larry for at least 6 hours whatever I'm doing.

Tenhens

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 20:49 »
I wonder if the pigeon population in Cardiff have heard?

I do so agree with  Fairy Plotmother , It is so much more interesting  to listen to sport on the radio , as Bill Maclaren  once said ' You paint a picture with words'.  I have spent many an hour in the garden with the radio wondering what Blowers and company are going to natter on about next , wonderful listening. 

According to the BBC sport pages England V West Indies starts on 7th September.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 07:45 »
Years ago, I had to do some market research, which meant sitting in a car in a country layby, counting lorries going in and out from a competitor's works.

It was desperately dull 'work', but there was a Test Match on, so in fact the whole sunny day turned into seven hours of total bliss!

Never had the old A20 been such a tranquil and enjoyable place...

Tenhens

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 20:24 »
Years ago, I had to do some market research, which meant sitting in a car in a country layby, counting lorries going in and out from a competitor's works.

It was desperately dull 'work', but there was a Test Match on, so in fact the whole sunny day turned into seven hours of total bliss!

A similar sort of situation , during the Olympics a few years ago , we were stuck in traffic on holiday , and were listening  to the Mixed Doubles Badminton .  Gail Emms and Jason Robertson were in action , no pictures , just the natural talent of the commentator to describe the action , it was brilliant radio . 

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 21:50 »

A similar sort of situation , during the Olympics a few years ago , we were stuck in traffic on holiday , and were listening  to the Mixed Doubles Badminton .  Gail Emms and Jason Robertson were in action , no pictures , just the natural talent of the commentator to describe the action , it was brilliant radio .
Have you listened to golf? Ryder Cup, The Open...all the majors. Absolutely fabulous.

Tenhens

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 10:48 »
Apparently , Henry is ringing the Five - Minute Bell at Lords today prior to start of play against South Africa, and according to Stuart Broad , one needs sunglass's , such is Henry's outfit.  Michael Vaughn's tip on ringing the bell, was keep ringing it until someone tells you to stop! 

Tenhens

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 20:04 »
Following the turnaround in West Indies test cricket ,  after the so called mismatch of the first test , we now have the wonderful prospect of the final test decider for Henry 'My dear fellow'  to describe with his wonderful use of the English language.

Lets hope that the players can rise to the challenge , I'm sure they will ,and the  the weather stays good so that we can listen to one of the best . Have just  checked my calendar , looking good for the second day onwards in the garden or potting shed.

Aled

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 09:34 »
Good call Tenhens, i'll make a point of listening now.
Being a Welshman it won't surprise you that my county is Glamorgan, Radio Wales often does commentary on MW, and to be fair Edward Bevan is usually pretty good listening.
Cheers
Aled

Tenhens

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 14:56 »
Looking like this afternoon will be Blowers last stint on the mic, England are chasing 107 to win , currently 23- 0 . Raining in North Derbyshire , so good reason to stay under cover.

Windies scored 123 and 177 while England notched up 194.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 11:55 »
Dear old Blowers had a wonderful day yesterday and a very emotional send off by everyone. Wonderful scenes at Lords.

xx
Unforgotten Tonight - Final Episode

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2018, 21:32
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 38 queries.