Coming home from France

• 19 Replies

mrs bouquet

Coming home from France
« on: August 14, 2020, 14:34 »
According to the News, british people are all arriving at the Ferries, and Train to get home before 4am tomorrow.     This is what I don't understand :    a)   if they get home say at 2am, what is the Covid difference for 2 hours.     b)     the folk that don't get back in time,  will they go home and finish their holiday in isolation ?
Oh, my brain aches   :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Coming home from France
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 14:40 »
It’s nothing you (or I) need to worry about Mrs B.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 15:08 »
Everything has to have a start point/finish point, at least the extra few hours gives people time to make their travel plans. Can you imagine the uproar if it had had immediate effect  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 16:57 »
I do understand the logic really, just wonder about people.   My Velux window Man, who is due here, is holidaying in France, perhaps that is why I read it with interest.    I shan't have him here for a couple of weeks now anyway  :ohmy:  Mrs B

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 10:17 »
I fear a lot of people will return from abroad and just ignore the quarantine. Quite what the government can do to stop that without putting ankle tags on people or sticking them in camps, I don't know.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52 »
I fear a lot of people will return from abroad and just ignore the quarantine. Quite what the government can do to stop that without putting ankle tags on people or sticking them in camps, I don't know.

New Zealand takes arrivals straight to nearby hotels for 2 weeks, I believe.  Maybe an idea here?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 14:07 »

New Zealand takes arrivals straight to nearby hotels for 2 weeks, I believe.  Maybe an idea here?

Hmmm... sounds good to me.  I’d take a trip to France so that I could have a free fortnight in a hotel. What a lovely rest  ::) :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 18:46 »

Hmmm... sounds good to me.  I’d take a trip to France so that I could have a free fortnight in a hotel. What a lovely rest  ::) :lol:

Me and my chums developed the Holiday Inn in Cheriton, Aunty...

...may get a discount there one day, but watch the wine the manager used - it's awful...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 19:15 »
Our neighbours were in Portugal way back when this lot started, had a difficult journey home and put themselves into isolation for 2 weeks. That was quite some time before anyone was suggesting closing borders and so forth. Good people.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 20:36 »
There's a distinct air of relief that many Brits have returned home from here in France. There was widespread disregard for social distancing and almost negligible understanding of the wearing/value of masks. There's no way you can walk around busy summer markets without making contact with others. It was amazing to hear them delight in the low (almost non-existent) infection level in our quiet dept (81) yet not appreciate that while we posed little risk to them they in fact posed an enormous risk to us. There's obviously going to be an economic downturn with a truncated tourist season, but better that than illness/death,
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 23:21 »
I’m sure many of the Brits here are ashamed of the way some Brits behave, especially while on holiday abroad and when invading our seaside towns.  They are not a credit to us  :(

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 11:15 »
Sometimes when we were abroad, we used to say,  Lets pretend we are not from the UK, look, they are embarrassing.    :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 13:52 »
Those years I lived on a Greek Island, much abused by the young 'bar-crawl' types during the summer, everybody used to breathe a sigh of relief when the last holiday flight had departed  ::)
After clearing the rubbish the visitors had left behind in the countryside, in the villages and on the beaches, Greeks and ex-pats alike would quietly celebrate getting back to normal. Sheer bliss  8)

How the turtles still manage to cling on to life in the Med, is beyond me :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 19:08 »
Living in a tourist area, we've accepted that summer brings more traffic and busier streets etc. Tourists are important to the economy, of course. BUT this year, they're different. Just no respect. Driving like idiots on narrow roads, chucking rubbish out of the car windows and leaving piles of it when they depart beautiful countryside and beaches. So sad.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 19:52 »
And those are the tourists who fly the flag for us abroad.  :ohmy:

xx
Retreat from France!

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2020, 10:03
by New shoot
xx
Tour de France

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2019, 17:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
Tour de France

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 17:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
'Coming around again'...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2022, 17:28
by Growster...

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 54 queries.