toms in grow bags

• 19 Replies

shaun

toms in grow bags
« on: May 09, 2007, 16:13 »
this is the way i do mine,

cut the bottom out of a 2ltr pot

put your tom plant in the bottom of the pot and fill will compost (i empty a grow bag out and use that)

let the roots just go through the pot

put the pot into the grow bag job done
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Oscar Too

toms in grow bags
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 16:26 »
I like it.  I've never quite known how to use growbags.

Lily

toms in grow bags
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 16:28 »
And I thought I was clever. I did something similar by cutting the bottom of a fruit punnet and planted my tom plant in so that it's protected from slugs and all...
Do not underestimate the therapeutic values of weeding!
1 dog, 2 children, 3 good reasons not to spread poison!

shaun

toms in grow bags
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 17:34 »
if you plant straight into the bag with no pot what happens is when you water them you tend to wash the compost out exposing the roots,also when you use feed you just water it into the pot ,this way you dont miss the target and get it all over the bag (its a man thing) :wink:

deneview

toms in grow bags
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:05 »
hello, i have done the same this year with 1.5l pots but also put in some 3in pots either side as watering points, im doing a trial, 1 growbag with pots as above, one growbag planted direct, and also a 75 litre compost bag filled with border soil  to see if any difference.

Ferris

toms in grow bags
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 10:37 »
I have done a similar thing with 5" pots. Another thing to mention is that I put my grow bags on their side.... this way you get a greater depth of compost for the roots to get into.... this was suggested to me by someone with lots of experience so I guess there must be something in it  :D

shaun

toms in grow bags
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 21:38 »
another one for bigger roots is put 2 grow bags on top of each other,cut the hole right through the top bag and cut just the top holes out of the bottom one :wink:

Jim T

• Experienced Member
toms in grow bags
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 22:38 »
luv the :idea: Shaun.
I will grow melons likewise and also put some sweet potatoes in the growbag. (tried for some slips from a sweet potato but no success)
Former biochemist, now experimenting and having fun. :-)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
toms in grow bags
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 22:42 »
Good idea Shaun.  I've never liked growbags.  But that makes them look very useful  :D

Annie

toms in grow bags
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39 »
I have some of those ring culture pot things that you use in the same way but it makes watering easier,in the grow bags where I use Shauns method I water using plastic bottles with the bottom cut out and a watering spike or bit of pipe wedged into the top and push these into the pots ,they are easier to see than pots between the plants and hold more water in one go.I will be trying this amongst the sqash this year as once the leaves grew I couldn`t find the pots next to the plant roots to water them.

DadBear

• Experienced Member
toms in grow bags
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 22:05 »
Good idea that, ive just made a little rockery type thing which i've filled with soil improver and earth. I've cut the bottom out of my grow bags ( containing 2 tom plants) and sat it in the rockery. I've got an old shower screen which goes diagonally over the top against a fence for protection... will see how it goes..... :D
trying to be organic....

brianh

toms in grow bags
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 14:36 »
I have done a very similar thing with my toms in the greenhouse. As I'm new to growing toms I'm glad you all think this a good idea. The plants certainly look quite healthy at the moment.

I recently saw a garden centre selling  what they tried to tell me was a new type of growbag called a 'kayak' growbag. The idea being you shake up the bag, rest it on its side thus getting better depth of compost. It did strike me that this was just a conventional grow bag with the dotted lines for the holes printed on the side instead of the top, but no the girl in the garden centre was adamant it was a great new innovation. Of course these growbags are a bit more expensive than your conventional growbag - do they really think we are that gullible?
Brian

Chris Haughton

Watering grow bags
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 16:12 »
On from the topic of getting water actually to the plants in a growbag (rather than splashing everywhere else)...last year I cut some old 2" plastic water pipe into three foot lengths and cut one end at a sharp angle. I then pushed the pipes through additional holes in the bags until they touched bottom. Using a funnel, it made watering very easy.

The gardening experts will no doubt advise on whether or not its wrong to deliver water straight to the roots - but in any case we ended up with a good crop.    :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Watering grow bags
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 16:17 »
Quote from: "Chris Haughton"
On from the topic of getting water actually to the plants in a growbag (rather than splashing everywhere else)...last year I cut some old 2" plastic water pipe into three foot lengths and cut one end at a sharp angle. I then pushed the pipes through additional holes in the bags until they touched bottom. Using a funnel, it made watering very easy.

The gardening experts will no doubt advise on whether or not its wrong to deliver water straight to the roots - but in any case we ended up with a good crop.    :)

I use growbags, but cut them open & empty them into large pots! Welcome to the forums, Chris, why not pop along to the 'Welcome To The Forums' forum, & say hello. (Apologies for the duplication with the 'welcomes' &  the 'forums'!)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

Re: Watering grow bags
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 16:19 »
Quote from: "Chris Haughton"

Welcome Chris.   We have an in-house expression coined by a presently-exiled member ... "Werks fer me" !! :D

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Grow bags for toms.

Started by Stree on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 23:08
by Stree
xx
Grow bags for toms, cucumbers and courgettes - peat in/not?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 13:42
by Kagganz
xx
grow bags... how many is too many?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 20:21
by DD.

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 39 queries.