From Queen to King

• 9 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
From Queen to King
« on: September 11, 2022, 00:45 »
Well I don’t feel I can just put a normal garden diary post up in view of events. The sad and shocking loss of our Queen has removed a constant from our lives.
From Queen to King
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

snowdrops

Re: From Queen to King
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 08:24 »
Yes a great loss to our country, I’m not a great fan of the Royals, the Princess Diana debacle saw to that. But I think the Queen was a wonderful Queen, she showed the nation the essence of hard work, dedication & to put others before yourself. I do hope that King Charles will carry on in her footsteps and although I can’t agree with his earlier shenanigans, but I do think he is sincere & I think Prince William is very committed to the ‘firm’ and will make a good King when his time comes.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 09:19 »
I hope we're not going to see hysteria at the funeral as we did with Diana - The Queen was always so dignified and it's the least we can do to lay her to rest with dignity.

I'm actually very much a supporter of the constitutional monarchy we have as a system. We were so lucky to get the Queen we did and now I'm certain a King who will bring the same qualities as she did.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 10:51 »
I agree  :)
I just hope there can, at least, be some cordiality now, between Harry & Meghan and the rest of the family.
The old adage comes to mind "least said, soonest mended'...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 11:36 »
I hope that some allotmenteer breaks the flower spell and places a bunch of homegrown carrots in respect.  I think the queen would have had a chuckle.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 11:43 »
I'm pretty well with Snows on this, as ardent supporters of the Queen, we always looked up to her and the Duke, but it became difficult when Diana's death opened up so many questions, and some even persist today.

As for King Charles' views on whatever in the past, the Royal Protocol as a Monarch really does mean that he has to keep away from public comment on all these issues from now on.

I don't know how this will pan out with the rest of his generation, some have already fallen by the wayside...

We just feel very sad at the loss of such a fabulous lady but we'll have to adjust - but slowly.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2022, 18:32 »
I agree totally with Snowdrops.   I'm not a Royalist, never have been and never will be, but one has to give the late Queen total respect for her dedication to duty.  Not many, in fact I can't think of anyone, who, at the age of 96, was still working up until two days before they died.  Apart from that, she was a very clever woman who hardly ever put a foot wrong in her seventy years on the throne and knew exactly how to deal with all manner of people no matter what their stripe. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2022, 20:19 »
I do support the monarchy, but recognise it's not perfect. I agree that Charles will need to take a much more neutral stance as King, and I think he has himself said so too. Time will tell.

I was at the Proclamations for North Yorkshire and for York today (both held in York), and signed the Book of Condolence in the Minster. I could have signed one in my local church, but the Minster has been the focal point for the community through centuries, and I wanted to be part of that too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2022, 22:50 »
I was 5 years old when Queen Elizabeth II was crowned.  I was at infants school and we were all given an embossed propelling pencil and a commemorative coin, I still have them.

My father bought our first TV especially to watch the coronation.  It was broadcast live and repeated again the next day.  On both days we has a room full of neighbours come to watch the tiny black and white ‘Sobell’ TV; I don’t think many people in our street had one.  I can remember it as though it was yesterday. 

I think King Charles will have learnt some very good lessons from his mother.  I think he’ll do a good job.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 23:30 »
On both days we has a room full of neighbours come to watch the tiny black and white ‘Sobell’ TV; I don’t think many people in our street had one.  I can remember it as though it was yesterday. 
Exactly the same in our house  :lol: :lol:

xx
The Compost Gardener by F. C. King

Started by John on New Across The Site

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2021, 23:57
by John
xx
Farewell Queen Charlie

Started by John on New Across The Site

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2019, 16:30
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 48 queries.