Purple stunted plants

• 3 Replies

SamOssie

Purple stunted plants
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:12 »
Hi all. I have peas, calabrese, and some naughty very early tomatoes in my veggie beds at the moment. I've noticed that they all look a bit sad, stunted, and purple-tinged. The tomatoes are the colour of a Cadburys wrapper underneath their leaves! I have the same peas (Spring Blush Sugar Snaps) and calabrese (Marathon F1) in other locations and they are nice and green and vigorous.

Having googled about a bit it looks like it could be a nutrient issue, possibly not enough phosphorus. Does that sound likely and if so what could be causing it? I grew veggies in the same bed last year without any problems and the only thing I've done in between was top up the bed with new peat-free compost about six weeks ago.

I've lifted the tomatoes, repotted them, feed them, and moved them back indoors to try and cheer them up - I know I was chancing my arm putting them out so early anyway - but what can I do, if anything, for the peas and calabrese? Will they be OK if I feed them and as the weather warms up or do I need to address the cause of the problem, whatever that might be?

Thank you  :)

jambop

Re: Purple stunted plants
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 10:47 »
I am not surprised that the tomatoes are blue probably too cold at night... they will get over it if the weather gets warmer. The Broccoli ... did you harden it off well? Then again may be a soil deficiency ?

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 12:09 »
In the past I've used Maxicrop which has made a real difference to my plants. Used it as per instructions when potting on or planting out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

SamOssie

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 09:43 »
jambop - yep all broccoli hardened off well and as I say there are others growing elsewhere not showing the same signs.

Goosegirl - thanks for the recommendation, I'll look it up!

xx
Stunted plants worth saving?

Started by GreyScales on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 09:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Is there a purple french bean that stays purple when cooked?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 15:16
by crowndale
xx
Stunted Tom

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 05, 2019, 12:02
by JayG
xx
Purple Runners (Aeron Purple Star)

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 29, 2014, 22:12
by surbie100

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 43 queries.