Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #135 on: July 10, 2010, 19:28 »
the thicker the weld mesh the better  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

stujem

« Reply #136 on: July 11, 2010, 21:00 »
I've almost finsh my run and coop now, and am not going to use chicken wire only to go over the wooden panels of the coob (just in case) I would like to ask would Welded wire mesh 1" x 1" be ok or should I use 1/2" x 1/2" I look forward to any advice given.
Stu

joyfull

« Reply #137 on: July 11, 2010, 21:27 »
1/2" x 1/2" is best as rats can get through the 1" holes.

stujem

« Reply #138 on: July 11, 2010, 22:48 »
Thank you joyfull for all your help. I have just looked at ebay and seen a 30m roll of gauge 19 welded wire mesh 1/2" x 1/2" x 36"  for £36.00 + £11.00 postage. I hope this will be ok. what do you think?

joyfull

« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2010, 16:06 »
The lower the gauge the thicker the wire (it is usually measured by thickness - i.e. SWG), ideally you should look at aound 14 or 16 gauge.
There is a company called Hills of Devon - they are on ebay but also have their own website - and they appear to be one of the best and quickest suppliers  :)

magicfairy

« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2010, 22:27 »
Hi, I am new to the forum and have a specific question about old mr foxy!  Sorry I haven't read through all the posts on this thread as there are rather a lot!

We have the hen house and are now clearing the overgrown area in our graden to accomodate the chooks.  The area is raised from the main garden, but still a fair size.  It is amongst a couple of large trees, so my question is do we put a roof on the run?  We live on the edge of wilderness, so foxy will definatley come prowling, but would an open topped run so the chooks can get up into the trees, if he did manage to get in, be better than an enclosed one?   

Thanks

sloegin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2010, 20:11 »
What is it with foxes & chickens. Do they ever attack anything elese rabbits, cats etc? They are savages >:(

Paul Plots

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2010, 20:55 »
What is it with foxes & chickens. Do they ever attack anything elese rabbits, cats etc? They are savages >:(

Yep - they do attack all sorts of things. The children next-door to me lost their pet rabbit one night despite it being in a run.  :(

I lost a leather glove too - I dropped it on the way to my parents place just as I spotted a fox lurking in the shadows. The glove was gone when I retraced my steps 20 minutes later - it turned up chewed on the front lawn a day later!  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2010, 23:31 »
Foxes can attack cats but rarely do since a bite from a cat will inevitably be infected and most likely fatal. I've seen a small cat drive a fox from the garden, but she was a bit mad and would take on a dog on her patch :)
Sadly, the hungrier the fox, the more dangerous and we've a dreadful over-population problem with them in the towns. Although they live on our waste (like the rats) the problem is the strong dominate a territory pushing the weak into starvation.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2010, 04:30 »
I know many will disagree but I feel a little sorry for the fox in some ways..

I know they are very destructive of other creatures and can do a great deal of damage but they are simply following their instincts. It is our fault towns are becoming over run with them. Some people are soft enough to intentionally feed them while too many of us carelessly leave waste food around encouraging them to snatch opportune meals. Then us townies moan like mad about foxes being on the increase when they are simply making the best of each and every sneaky opportunity as we spread our housing estates further and further into country-side and onto what was once farmland where they lived.  :(

compostqueen

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2010, 16:46 »
You will need a roof on your run for sure.

My hens were attacked by a fox and lived to tell the tale thanks to my OH  :D  I have no ill will towards foxy but I am now paranoid about it's return so I've beefed up my defences and keep an eye on them when they're in the garden.  Foxes are beautiful creatures and like you say have to eat but I just wish they'd use the takeaway up the road  :D

garycogburn

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2010, 13:07 »
hi there. my enclosure has large loose stones around the outside, so if a fox digs, the stones will just fall on him. no probs yet, but like a fox marks his territory, you may have to do the same!! i heard this actually works, so i have tried it a few times. i also have laid a mesh inside the enclosure, so nothing can dig up from under, including rats. its buried about 6 inches under, then put sharp sand over mixed with earth. alot of hard work, but after loosing 10 ducks so far, i am determined to make them as safe as poss. i back on to a railway, so there are foxes all around. failing that, you can always pitch a tent next to your birds!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 20:22 by garycogburn »

compostqueen

« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2010, 08:53 »
good idea! 

My hen run is built on a wide concrete footing but I noticed when I shifted the Eglu that a mole (or maybe a rat) had tunnelled in and had tried to come up under the Eglu  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2010, 23:00 »
You will need a roof on your run for sure.

My hens were attacked by a fox and lived to tell the tale thanks to my OH  :D  I have no ill will towards foxy but I am now paranoid about it's return so I've beefed up my defences and keep an eye on them when they're in the garden.  Foxes are beautiful creatures and like you say have to eat but I just wish they'd use the takeaway up the road  :D

If the truth were known they probably do use the take-away and all the food that's dropped on the pavements... it may be what is attracting them to your area in the first place.

Unfortunately their instinct to chase anything that moves and has the right smell makes chickens and ducks irresistible.  :(

fluffy feather

« Reply #149 on: August 19, 2010, 21:51 »
how deep will a fox dig to get in a run? i've buried wire a foot deep all around AND have planks at the base of the welded mesh sides. I've covered the run with wire too so the only way a fox could get in is underneath.

i have a row of concrete blocks under my wire and timber on top,that shld do the job.hopefully if mr fox comes to my run he will need to bring his jack hammer wif him lol

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen
xx
Third time broody this year, will this be last?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 17:22
by gracie

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 41 queries.