Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.

• 497 Replies

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #150 on: August 22, 2010, 19:20 »
Only speaking from experience having always had a fox visiting the garden (urban), I tried the male urine thing when I first got the chooks, always refreshing it regularly. I found that all that happened was that the fox did not urinate in the garden, just sniffed around, but he/she has always ignored the chicken run and seems to prefer dispatching any mice or rats we have had! I don't take anything for granted and my run is as secure as I can make it and they are always well in bed by the time he comes around.
It may also help that all houses around have dogs including us.

Paul Plots

Re: Fox Attacks Warning.
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2010, 14:51 »
Bonniebean - I've a feeling that the foxes on my lottie site have done a good job at reducing the rat population and for that I am grateful (if I'm right). I just wish they'd spend less time cavorting through my crops.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
Re: Fox Attacks Warning. It's that time of year again.
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2010, 14:05 »
I lock my chickens up at 6:50pm to make sure they are all in and away from the gates so it does not attract foxes.I don't know if this helps but we wash down the area the chickens where the coop is every night to get the scent of our chickens away so the foxes don't come after Pinky,Perky and Punk-Face.
CALLUM LAWTON :)

bastonjock

• South Lincolnshire
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2010, 13:13 »
my dogs went nuts a few nights ago,i was late getting home and the coops were open,i always take my dogs with me,it was dark and the two Schnauzers went ballistic and ran off into the dark with the old Lab X heading after them,im pretty sure that it was a fox as i heard some animal barking in the dark

Thrift

« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2010, 09:56 »
The other day OH let chickens and ducks into the field for a forage. He stood watching the whole time accompanied by our neighbour Ben, the collie pup.

After a while he sent Ben to round up the ducks and bring them back which he duly did. They were only yards away but in a flash a fox darted round the corner, behind Ben, going straight past and heading towards OH and the birds  :ohmy: He grabbed a duck from the middle of the group!

OH grabbed a stick and, roaring like a banshee, bashed at the fox until it let go   whereupon it departed. Poor Ben didn't know what happened and must have thought he'd done something terrible until he was sent in hot pursuit; he's only 7 months  ::)

Luckily the duck is fine.  :)

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2010, 10:13 »
A friend of mine lost 3 Indian runner ducks last night, Cunning Mr Fox removed bricks off the top of the coop and got in that way  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2010, 11:02 »
They are very cunning.
A friend of mine has just lost her two ducks that I found for her a few months ago and she is dreading how to tell her two young children  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2010, 02:00 »
They are very cunning.
A friend of mine has just lost her two ducks that I found for her a few months ago and she is dreading how to tell her two young children  :(

That's really sad - I wonder how long it will be before there are strong moves to reduce the population in and around towns?

joyfull

« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2010, 06:40 »
not long ago foxes used to be caught in the west mids and then released in Wales (allegedly) so guess these moves have been around for a while. This method just moves the problem around and urban foxes who get fed by a lot of people or scavenge around bins face the problem of not being able to cope with finding their own food. My father in law makes dog food sandwiches for his local foxes and cannot understand when I tell him that he is making things worse for the foxes  :(, he just thinks it is because I have chickens and am worried about foxes getting them (luckily his foxes are 50 miles away from my birds).

Paul Plots

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2010, 15:57 »
Foxes are lovely in the distance, far away.... I'm just not so keen on housing them at the end of my plot when they decide to hold family parties in the middle of my seed beds or chew their way through my poly-covered cloches.

I've spent several weeks filling in the bits they have dug out under my wood pile  :blink:

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2010, 01:27 »
There used to be a product called (something like) Renardine, I don't know if its still available, supposed to deter foxes. When we had a sniff at some we thought it smelled like Jeyes fluid. I wonder of a spray of (diluted) Jeyes would deter them?

Thrift

« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2010, 10:16 »
Our friendly fox has revisited. A few nights ago I was riding down the lane on my electric scooter at about 9.45pm when something passed me about a yard away then stopped and waited. Sure enough it was Mr. Fox ..... he then loped off into the field.

Two days later he was back, sitting nonchalantly in the field a few yards from the gate, watching us watching him! This was 3.30pm and a touch too close to the hen yard. He retreated slightly but was soon back and ventured out of the gate despite a noisy farmer and Ben the collie giving the odd bark.

When OH threw a stone he ran halfway across the field and waited again until Ben turned up and set off in hot pursuit!

This fox is either very brave, very stupid or possibly a very tame town fox who has been trapped and released in the country.

Paul Plots

« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2010, 10:16 »
There used to be a product called (something like) Renardine, I don't know if its still available, supposed to deter foxes. When we had a sniff at some we thought it smelled like Jeyes fluid. I wonder of a spray of (diluted) Jeyes would deter them?

Personnally I don't think it would be legal to spray foxes with Jays... then there's the problem of would they stand still long enough to let you... ::)

On and around the chicken run.... maybe.  :unsure:

Paul Plots

« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2010, 10:18 »
Our friendly fox has revisited. A few nights ago I was riding down the lane on my electric scooter at about 9.45pm when something passed me about a yard away then stopped and waited. Sure enough it was Mr. Fox ..... he then loped off into the field.

Two days later he was back, sitting nonchalantly in the field a few yards from the gate, watching us watching him! This was 3.30pm and a touch too close to the hen yard. He retreated slightly but was soon back and ventured out of the gate despite a noisy farmer and Ben the collie giving the odd bark.

When OH threw a stone he ran halfway across the field and waited again until Ben turned up and set off in hot pursuit!

This fox is either very brave, very stupid or possibly a very tame town fox who has been trapped and released in the country.

Or perhaps just very hungry?

joyfull

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2010, 10:19 »

He/she could also be very very hungry and after easy pickings.

xx
That time year for Veg

Started by pepsi100 on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 09:37
by madcat
xx
FOX ALERT - the time of year

Started by jo40 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:55
by hillfooter
xx
does anyone get to see their hens this time of year?

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post November 23, 2010, 13:26
by TeaPots
xx
Moulting! at this time of year

Started by anitaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 16:19
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 39 queries.