GG's LAGS

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

GG's LAGS
« on: February 06, 2023, 14:35 »
Mods. Please delete if not appropriate for this site.

I am one of those laydees who so appreciate men who still maintain those gentlemanly courtesies such as opening the door for you when you are going in somewhere. Many years ago when I was staying for a short holiday with my OH's grandparents (Hilda and Alan) I was taken to Ascot racecourse for a day. Apart from the fact that she was up early making smoked salmon sandwiches (sans crusts) that later went into a wicker hamper, along with a bottle or two of fizzy which we partook whilst waiting for the first race to begin (eat your hearts out my dear workmates as this is a one-time life experience), and add the fact that all laydees had to wear skirts, as I walked towards the seating area there were gentlemen who doffed their caps to me. Another more recent time, I went into our local pub for a medium glass of Chardonnay. As I was entering the door, a couple of gentlemen were so kind as to open it for me so I was able to go in first.
Unfortunately, there are some ladies who are against this. What a shame for those lovely kind men who take such pleasure in treating ladies so kindly and with respect.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

Re: GG's LAGS
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 17:02 »
I think it's such a shame that chaps aren't allowed to treat ladies with such courtesy. As far as I'm concerned, I do all that which you describe, and don't recall any time when the gesture was unwelcome - except for some peculiar woman who would'nt let me lower the armrest on the train for some reason, and snapped my head off when I asked her nicely...

I do remember, however, a very early first 'date' in my formative years, when I suggested we 'went to the theatre', which was a bit crass at the time, as I'd just been reading 'Room at the top'...:0~

I blame the rubbish on the BBC...!

(But then you'd know that already, wouldn't you)!

wighty

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 17:09 »
I too was brought up in a time when we stood   up when a teacher entered the room, a gentleman opened the door for us ladies, and always walked on the left so they could defend   our 'honour' with their sword arm or swipe their cloak off and lay it  over a puddle so we wouldn't get our feet wet.  Manners maketh a man was what I was always told.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 17:43 »
And always walk on the roadside of the pavement, Wighty! The lady is protected from the traffic, and also the  - er - stuff chucked out of the upper floor windows, as they over-hung the pavements back then and the bloke got it...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 18:41 »
I think it is nice, but it is a shame that younger generations don't seem to appreciate it.
In my last job, for the 20 years before I retired, there was a very long corridor that had doors every 20ft or so, and some people couldn't even be bothered to stop the door from slamming in your face, if you were behind them. I always said a very loud THANK YOU each time it happened. Only once the young man in front of me stopped and said, "eh? what for?" I said "for letting the door slam in my face" He went red and said sorry, but I really don't think it would have changed his future behaviour  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 09:33 »
So love your replies. After much persuasion and fluttering of eyelashes I actually managed to buy the two guys in the pub a drink even though they just wanted orange juice. T'was my good deed for the day. Yesterday I saw them again in the Caton Leisure club I just joined where we get talks on various subjects (yesterday's was a home movie on the Galapagos Islands) then, lo and behold, they came into the pub afterwards. My sort of chaps don't you know.  ;)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 13:48 »
I agree with all that has been said.  It really makes me sad that so few young people understand what good manners are.  Like Mum, I always thank, very loudly, the people who ignore manners and drop a door in my face etc.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 15:03 »
when I stop behind a parked car to let other cars pass because the cars parked on my side of the road the amount of people including laddies I'm to say don't acknowledge you for stopping or even try to push through its a pity they don't know the meaning of manners it cost's nothing to say thank you but some are just plain ignorant I ask myself how where some of these people brought up to be so ignorant probably inherited from there parents

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 09:35 »
My niece has three children who are being brought up to say please and thank you. The gold star goes to Johnathan who, with a very serious face, says "Auntie Jacqui. Please may I have a drink?" My answer always is "Of course you may my sweetheart." I then get a thank you when said Vimto drink is dispensed and given. I don't go as far as expecting them to ask permission before they leave the table, but don't like them looking at phones or tablets. Having said all that, Johnathan thinks it's great fun to nick my chair when I've gone into the kitchen and I take great fun in getting him out of it! As said previously, manners maketh man and the same applies to women, though I haven't walked with a man carrying a sword or one who would endure being doused with the contents of a Guarde L'eau. That would put a dampener on the night's proceedings for sure!   :nowink:

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 48 queries.