What I did on the plot today 2022

• 125 Replies

rowlandwells

Re: What I did on the plot today 2022
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 15:52 »
picked up another loaded trailer of horse muck lovely stuff the only downside was I had to barrow and stack it on our home garden because its to wet to take the tractor down the allotments till spring meaning I will have to reload it all back up  come spring  :(

Christine

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 17:25 »
Spent the gardening days this year shifting compost from containers and piles around the plot onto growing areas. Not the greatest compost ever made but useful. Just one more bin to go - will be ready by March I'd say.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2022, 16:32 »
Last summer I had an old treehouse pulled down (the children aren't children anymore, and the treehouse was in bad shape; for safety I wanted it down).
Today I'm getting around to dismantling it, some of the wood that's still fit will be re-purposed to make raised beds.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

rowlandwells

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 16:10 »
put some new horse manure we picked up last week in our empty Darlick bins for using next year

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2022, 13:51 »
Good and bad yesterday. Went to the plot to check leeks and garlic both attacked by rabbits!! Seems as though this is caused by the rampant building of new estates in our village driving the rabbits on to our allotments.
Only good news was I decided to cut down my raspberry canes as I had some time on my hands as I wasn’t harvesting leeks. Met a fellow gardener who said his leeks had been damaged too. 
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 03:36 »
After harvesting a few greens today, I covered my raised beds to protect against a -6°C cold snap tonight. Most of what's I the ground is hardy stuff, but better safe than sorry.

Picked up a little sand today, to mix with some clay soil and  compost for starting rhubarb plants.  The plants are small, going into nursery pots until they get started, and I've made a raised bed for them.

Also picked up some Red Baron and Stuttgarter onion sets.

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 16:37 »
 Cleared the weeds off the potato bed, covered with 75mm manure/compost mix

Cleaned out the polytunnel and turned over one side and mixed in a few handfuls of 6x

Very frosty there @10am but soon cleaned, a busy enjoyable  4 hours

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2022, 18:27 »
I went with the intention of some path strimming, but the grass was too wet.
Ended up just tidying up a bit and chatting. (Mostly chatting really  :lol:)
Came home when my feet were numb  ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2022, 19:14 »
Was late getting to the plot this afternoon after doing more than I anticipated in the garden. So nothing done at the plot apart from closing up the tunnel that I’d opened this morning & of course dealing with the chickens morning & afternoon.
In the garden I shredded the raspberry prunings I’d trundled home on Friday, then I continued clearing the back border & mulching it all with the well rotted manure I’d collected on Thursday , 12 of 15 bags gone, but boy does it look good  :D then I trundled the shreddings to the plot & added them to the heap that’s waiting to go in the compost bins when I’ve emptied & turned them  :wacko: a job for another day
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2022, 17:42 »
Planted the rhubarb on Sunday.

Planting at least some onions this afternoon.

Love154

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 10:34 »
happy planting

rowlandwells

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 12:55 »
nothing today Thursdays our garden rest day or going out day but had a good day yesterday sorting plants out so its back to Gardening tomorrow plenty to do if it keeps fine not started on the allotments yet its still to wet

Lardman

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2022, 16:19 »
I'm really late getting to the fruit trees. Pruned the espalier apples the best I could, it will take a few years to get them back into shape, I need to buy some more posts as the 3" fence post I'd used as end supports have rotted already.  Moved the sweet 16 and an unknown cooker which had been pulled horizontal with the weight of fruit. I'm hoping to straighten them, otherwise I'll have to graft again as both are nice.  I cut the blueberry bushes back down to 6 inches in an attempt to get them under control, either they grow nicely or they're out - it's their last warning, no mater how much I like them.

I still need to fight my way over to the espalier pears and sort those out before it's too late to do it this year. I've not done anything out there since last June and it's really noticeable, it all looks very neglected  :blush: Couple of days hard work and a box of matches should improved matters considerably.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2022, 00:13 »
Knocked some holes into the top of some big stumps in my "forest edge" garden area, then put urea nitrogen fertilizer into the holes to promote rotting. It should make chopping the stumps out with a pickaxe an easier job in the autumn.

Also, I continued pulling apart an old treehouse to salvage the wood for more raised beds.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 18:00 »
A better garden fence is needed, so I took so I took some measurements to design and construct a new one, and also to determine the materials I need to buy.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 53 queries.