apple trees and manure

• 10 Replies

paul2004

apple trees and manure
« on: January 25, 2008, 15:23 »
Do i incorporate manure to the hole before planting or use it as a mulch or not at all.
non organic / organic

gobs

apple trees and manure
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 15:26 »
Do incorporate some in the planting hole, mix with soil.

Mulch later on in the spring whilst ground is moist to keep from drying out in the summer. (Which sounds a joke if we have one like last year :?  :lol: )
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

paul2004

apple trees and manure
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 15:28 »
Thanks gobs.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
apple trees and manure
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 22:45 »
Interestingly i saw Monty Don on the TV the other week and he was planting fruit trees and said he does not incorporate manure as he said if you don't the roots are more likely to spread out in search of 'food' and as a result you get a stronger root base.  Thoughts?  as i am going to be putting in a plum, greengae, apple and fig in the next month or so.

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

gobs

apple trees and manure
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:03 »
Might sound good, but I would consider not having much substance. Tree roots are huge, they will spread out anyway, once a tree has taken. Not helping it to settle into its new place is unlikely to make it any stronger.

On the other hand, and as a second thought, not helping newly planted trees with nutrition, water and a stake in the first few years of planting might well set back, wreck or even kill them, whilst they are trying to grow sufficient roots for support and feeding.

That's why trees on small rootstock need more feeding and watering all their lifes and permanent staking for dwarf ones.

Ruby Red

apple trees and manure
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 16:21 »
Quote from: "cawdor2001"
Interestingly i saw Monty Don on the TV the other week and he was planting fruit trees and said he does not incorporate manure as he said if you don't the roots are more likely to spread out in search of 'food' and as a result you get a stronger root base.  Thoughts?  as i am going to be putting in a plum, greengae, apple and fig in the next month or so.

Cawdor
 Yes I saw that too. The tree benefits more without the muck round its roots. It encourages the roots to become stronger. Adding the muck round the roots may also damage it if it hasnt rotted down enough. New muck can kill. Also using a small stake at the foot of the tree is better than one the same size as the rocking in the wind also helps the roots grow stronger.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

WG.

apple trees and manure
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 16:31 »
Quote from: "Ruby Red"
New muck can kill.
I have preached my dislike for fresh manure too.

The tree is going to be there a long time.  I see no harm in adding a little rotted manure to the planting hole to assist with nutrition and moisture retention - the latter being more significant in the short term.

gobs

apple trees and manure
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 16:37 »
New muck can kill, but you might find, if you try, that depending on it's type it won't, not even young vegetable plants.  You of course,  always advised to use rotted manure (refer to Glossary, please, on types, etc. and also second post: you mix it with the soil you got).

If I understand this expression right, if your tree is rocking in the wind, you have a problem.

Ruby Red

apple trees and manure
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 16:49 »
Quote from: "gobs"
New muck can kill, but you might find, if you try, that depending on it's type it won't, not even young vegetable plants.  You of course,  always advised to use rotted manure (refer to Glossary, please, on types, etc. and also second post: you mix it with the soil you got).

If I understand this expression right, if your tree is rocking in the wind, you have a problem.
I dont mean the whole tree moving out of the hole. ! Just that if it is trussed up tied to a post and not allowed to move an inch then it is doing it a disservice. If some gentle sway is allowed to the upper part of it , it helps to strengthen the roots. What sort of new muck doesnt kill then .The ammonia in it can scorch and burn tender plants.  :?

WG.

apple trees and manure
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 16:53 »
Quote from: "Ruby Red"
What sort of new muck doesnt kill then
rabbit

I'd also be happy to use horse muck pretty fresh provided it was free from sawdust, wood shavings and straw.

Selkie

apple trees and manure
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 17:20 »
I use seaweed

xx
Manure under apple trees

Started by missycat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 16:53
by oldbean
xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
apple trees

Started by ranat22 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:29
by Kleftiwallah
xx
apple trees

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 13, 2012, 11:27
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 33 queries.