Best uses of Fresh Sea Weed

• 5 Replies

skatenchips

Best uses of Fresh Sea Weed
« on: April 17, 2011, 22:25 »
Being a sea angler long before an allotment holder I have now decided to obtain a few bags of loose Bladderwrack from the high water line to use on the Lotty.

I Googled the idea and it said..................

To make your own liquid kelp, add a couple handfuls of seaweed to a 5-gallon bucket of water. Stir the concoction daily for a few days, then strain and dilute it using the ratio of 1 part kelp liquid to 2 parts water.

I just wondered what if any of you folks had used it on,be it fruits or veg....be it neat or in
watered down form.

Ill be interested in your answers as I have 3 big bag fulls gagging to be deployed to good use.

Cheers

Gazza

solway cropper

Re: Best uses of Fresh Sea Weed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 22:50 »
I've been using seaweed feed for years with excellent results. I just bung loads of seaweed into a big tub, cover with water and leave for a couple of months. The resulting liquor is black and very smelly. I decant it into half gallon bottles then use it diluted one pint per two gallon watering can. The partly rotted seaweed then goes on to the compost heap and I start the process again. It's not so much the NPK values that are useful but the trace elements and other stuff which really helps as a soil conditioner.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 23:59 »
I bet if I wandered (or cycled) to our nearest beach and loaded the trailer with sea-weed I'd soon have someone knocking at the door to ask if I had permission to gather the stuff!

Shame as there's plenty of pong from it some hot summers and we live a mile or more inland!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 01:03 »
I have written permission from the parish council to collect a reasonable amount of surf deposited seaweed when it is abundant and becoming a problem - which is usually after a storm.

I have used it just thrown into the compost heap or as a seaweed tea as you described- stinks but is good stuff.

Not so good as a mulch - attracts flies as it dries out.

skatenchips

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:58 »
Thanx for that zippy,I will cover me rear end and apply to ...........somerset/Dorset/Hampshire/Kent councils and see if there local bylaws allow me to
remove the odd bag or 3 on each visit I make to the coast.

I like the tea idea and will be making it today to sprinkle over assorted fruits and veggies.

Cheers

Gazza

argonaut

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 19:03 »
I live in wales ... and eat Seaweed regularly ... Lavabread ... a great local delicacy.

Think I will be collecting a few bags of seaweed to make out some liquid feed.

There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

xx
fresh manure, cardboard and weed control

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 18:37
by Totty
xx
WOW FRESH PEA'S

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2016, 22:15
by Tracybutton
xx
Fresh pig manure

Started by Loftuz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 17:43
by Christine
xx
Fresh Manure- do they know something i don't?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 15:56
by Trillium

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 38 queries.