Yipee!!! Quail eggs!

• 5 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Yipee!!! Quail eggs!
« on: July 01, 2010, 21:49 »
Well one day short of 7 weeks old and I had my first quail egg! Have now had one for the last 3'day and was going to post a pic but having puter problems so you'll just have to use your imagination! Today's was amazing with all the green and brown at one end and fading to cream at the other. It looks like a dip dyed egg.  :D

the boys are in the freezer waiting a special occasion so thank you again Spider  :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Yipee!!! Quail eggs!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 21:51 »
Have to say it is going to be a while till I have enough for a
decent omlette! :tongue2:

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 21:52 »
Oooh, how do you dress a quail?

I have 14 eggs in the incubator, and was wondering if it was worth trying to dress the males!

TeaPots

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 23:52 »
i am told little quailie eggs are delish soft boiled, and kept in the fridge to snack on...just pop one in your mouth like a sweetie. Can be rolled in sausage meat too, to make the cutest little scotch eggs  :tongue2:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 18:39 »
I found the quail really easy to dress. Not a fan of the actual deed but that seems best with just a sharp knife and decapitating them. TheOH prefers to use a cleaver which worries me as I am genuinly amazed he still has most of all his fingers and seems to be harder and take mre blows than just guillutining them with a sharp kitchen knife.

They pluck really easily although you have to be careful not to take a big clump of feathers or you tear the skin. They pluck nice and clean although the wings are a little tricky. Mrs Beeton wuld recommend nt drawing them but OH is a little squeamish about that so I gutted them just as you would a chicken but a lot smaller!

I was actually surprised how much meat there is n them cnsidering the size of them so looking forward to having them for a special tea some time.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 19:43 »
how do you keep your quails? im picking up a dozen fertile eggs on thurs and have converted an old rabbit hutch and run for them but was wondering how other people keep theirs? thanks matt.

xx
Quail eggs

Started by daisy1990 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:14
by daisy1990
xx
Quail.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 20:14
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Quail Chicks

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 21:24
by animal mad
xx
infertile quail?

Started by poultrypeople on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 17:18
by Mulberry1990

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 40 queries.