"Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?

• 17 Replies

Endymion

• Experienced Member
Re: "Semi-bush" or "semi-vine"?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28 »
Don't forget that not all butternut squash are trailers.... there's also the more compact type.  ;)
Ah! In my enthusiasm I forgot my original question ::) but I think it will still work, because even if they only trail about 6ft I can keep them off the ground and use the space for something else.

One of our winter squashes is "Early Butternut" which is described as 'semi-vine', so I'm guessing it will still want to wander a bit, but not as much as a more vigorous butternut.

There's "Sweet Dumpling" too. The packet describes the fruit but not the plant, and suggests they should be 3ft apart. I've done a lot of looking and found some websites that suggest it will probably travel quite a distance - so that will be going upwards too, hopefully.

For the summer stuff we've got long and a ball-shaped courgette and a yellow patty pan. I can't remember offhand which one of those was described as 'semi-bush', but I think we'll find out soon.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 11:39 »
If you are like me I plonk them in the ground and hope for the best.

I have one lot of butternut that are "trailing" so those are off to join the runner beans... hopefully with sufficient sun and rain to help them grow.

Good luck.
            Photos later?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Endymion

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 00:05 »
Our butternuts certainly look as if they're already trying to either trail or climb, there's one quite sturdy stalk several inches high which has big leaves spread out along it instead of being in a cluster at the base. The other plants are much more compact, at least so far.

If the weather stays warm, and we've managed to make some sort of frame to support them, they'll be outside at the weekend because they're outgrowing the cold frame.

Photos later?
:blink: You're an optimist!

If it works, I'll try to remember to take a picture, and then I'll have to try to find this thread again.

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
Comfrey Tea - "Press" or "Steep"?

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 15:38
by noshed
xx
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 22:33
by Hampshire Hog
xx
brassica's need moving(""edited"")

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 13:03
by gobs

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 38 queries.