Sweet or Savoury?

• 18 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Sweet or Savoury?
« on: December 14, 2019, 20:49 »
It's a divisive issue I know, especially around the festive season, when there are suddenly extra goodies around.

I'm savoury every time.   I like chocolate, sweets and puds, but crisps, nuts and stuff like cheese is a bigger draw.

It is a tough call, but if you could only go to one end of the buffet table, which would it be?  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet or Savoury?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 21:29 »
It is difficult one to answer.
Most days I'm on the savoury side, but occasionally I'll raid the freezer or cupboards for something (anything) that is sweet. If I can't find/or quickly bake something I'll have a really, really sweet cuppa tea just to scratch that itch  :blush:
So it would depend on what I felt like when I got to the buffet, in all honesty.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 22:33 »
I’m with mum, usually savoury, but I occasionally crave some chocolate or a cake
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 22:51 »
Probably sweet, because I always have savoury at home.     But I would look to see where the smallest queue was, and go there  :lol:    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 22:53 »
Husband says if he's peckish sweet, but if he's hungry savoury.
Eldest would start at one side of a cheese cake and stop when all the cakes were gone, youngest would take all the garlic/crusty bread and crisps with them.
Usually I'm savoury but occasionally the carrot cake calls me. LOUDLY and constantly until I give in just to stop it being noisy.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 23:30 »
Savoury all the way and normally spicy too!

I love to buy unsalted peanuts and give them a proper seasoning with chilli flakes, paprika and anything else to hand and then roast them a bit.
Sadly I'm just hitting the age where my metabolism is slowing and the snacking is going to have to reduce a bit.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 07:14 »
Sugar here is pretty well verboten, except with the addition of a little yeast now and then, so we stick to savoury nearly all the time!

Cheese figures highly for most of the time, and so does decent ham, but are eggs sweet or savoury?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2019, 08:45 »
Savoury all the way and normally spicy too!

I love to buy unsalted peanuts and give them a proper seasoning with chilli flakes, paprika and anything else to hand and then roast them a bit.
Sadly I'm just hitting the age where my metabolism is slowing and the snacking is going to have to reduce a bit.

No snacking  :ohmy:  Nah - just adapt the recipe.  I make popcorn, then drizzle a tiny bit of chilli oil over it and mix it up in a bowl.  It makes any other seasoning stick to it.  Lots less fat  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2019, 08:50 »
I've just remembered Twiglets.  I would dive on them, but never buy them at home  :wacko: 

but are eggs sweet or savoury?

Could be either Mr G.  A decent custard tart is a thing of beauty, but I like old fashioned devilled eggs as well.  I would never faff about making them at home, but would take one off a buffet table pdq  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2019, 11:04 »
When I get the sweet calling, I have some very small sticky toffee puddings in the pantry, they have a date stamp for about 50 years !   Pop one in the microwave for 40 seconds, and eat.    Every night after eating, I have a dark chocolate choc ice, they are in a Sainsbury box of eight and cost £1.10.    Also I have just two squares of Lidl very dark chocolate - this is medicinal, cocoa is very good for the circulation.    :)   Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2019, 11:20 »
Savoury for me every time, but with the occasional exceptions. When we visit our rellies in Oxfordshire, Jill does a spanking trifle and also a cream mixed with yoghurt and pineapples topped with brown sugar  :tongue2: or if I were in a restaurant and they had a raspberry and cream meringue. Other than that I'd rather have another starter instead.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2019, 15:06 »
Actually, Goosey, you hit on a substantive a correctness here...

When I was out in the wide world, trying to earn a crust on a daily basis, the inevitable 'business lunch' cropped up occasionally, and apart from a damn good sandwich in a bar somewhere, the act of going to a normal restaurant, and having just two starters was a great way to enjoy a prolonged discussion!

If two bottles arrived too, well, that meant that things evened out more than somewhat..;0)

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 16:25 »
Both , it is Christmas ! :)

jezza

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 18:03 »
Hello I just go to the middle of the buffet table and go to one end then start again and go the other way jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 18:10 »
Both , it is Christmas ! :)

Now you're talking  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
sweet onions

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post February 06, 2019, 20:23
by Yorkie
xx
Saw something sweet today

Started by azubah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:53
by mumofstig
xx
Nearly sweet corned and tomatoed out...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post September 10, 2018, 18:26
by Growster...
xx
Sweet corn skewers.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2023, 10:08
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 55 queries.