BARF

• 19 Replies

Spana

BARF
« on: November 08, 2010, 20:10 »
Barf, can somebody tell me what this stands for, is it bones and raw food? :unsure:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: BARF
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 20:35 »
Exactly that. If you google you'll find loads of info/forums. :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 20:55 »
some dogs do very well on it but when I tried it many years ago it didn't agree with my GSD, she came down with skin problems which the vet said was a vitamin deficiency so we went back to dried food.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Spana

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 21:06 »
My little terrier has never enjoyed her food and seemed to like the mice she caught herself more.  So I change over to raw rabbit and chicken wings and shes now waiting for her dinner.  Could find lots of info about barf but nowhere does it say what it meant. Now I want to know what 'prey model' is.  Anyone ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 21:13 »

The Jones s

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 22:08 »
Bo is fed on raw which doesn't include fruit and veg which is included in BARF feeding. I feed Prey Model where the meat/bones and organs are fed in appropriate proportions found in animals.
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it.

Spana

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 22:11 »
So if i feed rabbits with the liver and kideys and culled cockerels am I feed prey model :unsure:

Casey76

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 13:10 »
The BARF diet should now be avoided (or at least read with a pinch of salt) as advertised on line, as it has degenerated into nothing but expensive prepacked mince diets.  They also advocate feeding vegetable and fruit to cats which are obligate carnivores.

Instead, look at the RMB (raw meaty bone) diet, which is must more healthy and better for both dogs and cats :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 13:29 »
There's also your pet's carbon footprint to consider nowadays  :ohmy:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5785155_reduce-carbon-footprint-save-earth.html

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 13:57 »
... and if the dog eats locally caught rabbits?

::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

The Jones s

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 14:42 »
So if i feed rabbits with the liver and kideys and culled cockerels am I feed prey model :unsure:

Yes although in prey model the following percentages apply:

80%  meat .. 10% bone and 10% offal with only 5 of that being liver.  

Whole prey is ideal.  The only minces I feed Bo are green tripe mince as a treat.  The rest of her food is given in as big and whole pieces as possible to give her teeth, jaws and neck a good workout.  The only bones to avoid are weight bearing bones as they are denser than your dogs tooth enamel and it goes without saying any cooked bones.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 14:52 by The Jones s »

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 15:19 »
The BARF diet should now be avoided (or at least read with a pinch of salt) as advertised on line, as it has degenerated into nothing but expensive prepacked mince diets.  They also advocate feeding vegetable and fruit to cats which are obligate carnivores.

Instead, look at the RMB (raw meaty bone) diet, which is must more healthy and better for both dogs and cats :)

With most carnivores one of the first things to be eaten are the intestines full of vegetable matter. The only bit most cats will leave is the bitter gall bladder.

The Jones s

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 18:51 »
Quote from: 8doubles
With most carnivores one of the first things to be eaten are the intestines full of vegetable matter. The only bit most cats will leave is the bitter gall bladder.

This is the main bone (excuse the pun  :D) of contention between BARF and raw feeders.

Wolves who share 99% of dna with domestic dogs and the exact same digestive tract do not eat the stomach contents of prey.

Quote from Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation: The Wolf as a Carnivore

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen, which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site."

I therefore come down on the side of raw feeding but to be honest any small amount of raw meat in whatever form is better than feeding commercial food.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 18:53 by The Jones s »

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 19:36 »
Quote from: 8doubles

This is the main bone (excuse the pun  :D) of contention between BARF and raw feeders.

Wolves who share 99% of dna with domestic dogs and the exact same digestive tract do not eat the stomach contents of prey.

Quote from Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation: The Wolf as a Carnivore

"Wolves usually tear into the body cavity of large prey and...consume the larger internal organs, such as lungs, heart, and liver. The large rumen, which is one of the main stomach chambers in large ruminant herbivores,]...is usually punctured during removal and its contents spilled. The vegetation in the intestinal tract is of no interest to the wolves, but the stomach lining and intestinal wall are consumed, and their contents further strewn about the kill site."

I therefore come down on the side of raw feeding but to be honest any small amount of raw meat in whatever form is better than feeding commercial food.

A lot of dogs hoover up rabbit droppings and are partial to a nice fresh cow pat , they will also tuck into fruit without any encouragement and rats and other small mammals get chewed and swallowed with no pieces rejected. Wolves may not eat the bulk of the larger prey stomach contents but they must consume some if they eat the stomach lining.

Spana

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 21:00 »
My little terrier is really enjoying this diet and as i get more organised its becoming so easy.

1 rabbit chops into 5 meals and she has each portion as one piece. Also chicken wings, 3 wings to a meal.
Only thing I haven't got sorted is the raw fish, going to try some fresh sardines this week.

I've bought a book called 'Feed Your Dog Raw Meaty Bones ' by Tom Lonsdale and for under £5 is a good buy.  It lists what to feed and what to avoid and lots of other advice.

The thing I have noticed is her poos.  They are minute now and very dry and crumbly , is this ok.  The book does say that their poos will be smaller and dryer but I didn't think they would be so small.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 39 queries.