Is my hen poorly?

• 1 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Is my hen poorly?
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:09 »
Oh dear, I've only had my girls for a a week and one seems poorly. She's a warren, POL but her comb is still immature and pale. I have 2 warrens and 2 rhode rocks.

She's very timid, last out of the coop and last back in. She just mopes around and pecks half heartedly at food. She seems to be drinking more than the others. The other 3 strut around and scratch as if they've been here for years. This one just seems to isolate herself. Sometimes she's hunched, other times just gazes round aimlessly and seems generally disinterested in anything. She often stands in the corner with her back to everyone.

I looked at her crop this morning and it was slightly distended, but not nearly as much as the others when they go to bed. But then if she isn't eating much there can't be much in there! I haven't felt it - don't want to stress her by trying to catch her.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? How long does it normally take to settle in? Am I just comparing her with the others who have settled down so quickly? Any thoughts as to what I should do - I'm really new to this.

Thanks a lot. BG

kegs

Re: Is my hen poorly?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 09:21 »
Is she bottom of the pecking order?  Have you got extra feeders out so that she can get to the food without the others stopping her from eating?  Once she gets some extra food inside her she may perk up. 

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen...

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 17:15
by Jellyhead
xx
Poorly hen

Started by chloe on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 22:15
by joyfull
question
Poorly hen?

Started by hoptonboy on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 22:23
by hoptonboy

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 38 queries.