Hen stopped laying and is limping sometimes

• 18 Replies

Silkychicks

Re: Hen stopped laying and is limping sometimes
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 19:07 »
Hello Sassy,

I see I made a writing mistake: I ment we're not there jet  :)
What do you mean with 'this sounds nore positive'? I thought nore was used in contradiction/comparisson..
Glad to hear bumblefoot is not contagious.

Yes its  a cockerel with one hen.. I know this is far from ideal. Up to now I haven't found another home for him but will continue to ask around. Them sleeping in my hallway is also far from ideal   :nowink:  My house is small.
Allthough Ad is very good at 'pointing out' she is not in the mood for his avances, she has lost some feathers on her back, but I think she is also moulding.
I have been in touch with some breeders, but it is very hard to get silky hens.. The same here: I keep trying.
It would be great to have 3 hens! That's what I wanted in the first place  :)

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 09:05 »
Sorry typing error - nore should read more. You do very well with our language and it doesn't help when we make mistakes!!  :blush:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Silkychicks

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 08:58 »
Thanks sassy!  :)

I thought just to let you know about the clay/aloe vera/tea tree treatment didn't work so yesterday I took her to vet to see wat to do.

Here they don't treat bubmble foot...  :unsure:
This is what the vet said: The bacteria goes all the way up tendinous sheath. Because there are no veins (so no blood stream) inside of the sheath it is very hard (read unlikely) to kill all the bacteria with antibiotics.
A very negative side effect of antibiotica is that the proteine like fluid in the sheat will get 'damaged' and will harden/crumble. She called it 'it will form mice'. This will hurt and will not recover.

Cutting open the bumble will bring air to the bacteria with the consequence that the bacteria will get stronger.

What now? She said 'Just keep an eye on her, check her feet very regulary on little wounds and put bandage on it with acid free vasiline. Keep her dry and healthy..
The 'keeping an eye on her health and checking' is no problem, but she is notorious for running around in the rain: she doesn't seem to care.

Yesterday I felt quite relieved: she is a poultry vet and I though she must know what she is talking about, but:
I think Ad has problems sometime laying eggs, so I put her in a bath. The same this week: she went for laying, (she has been in the coop for over 2 hours) but no egg, so the day before yesterday she had a bath (she is starting to really enjoy them!  ;) ). The vet checked her belly and said 'there is no egg 'waiting', but last night she has layn an egg...

Good thing: she gave me the phone number of some one whe breads silkys in this part of the country; he just doesn't advertise them, so hopefully in a while Ad will have 2 sisters  :D

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 09:34 »
Brilliant. Well done finding a poultry vet. Sounds as though you are sorted!

Merry Christmas :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 09:37 by Sassy »

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
why has she stopped laying

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 03, 2007, 10:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Why has my hen stopped laying?

Started by Chicken star on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 23:17
by Chicken star
xx
Stopped Laying

Started by chloe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 17:18
by darkbrowneggs

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 38 queries.