Butternut Squash - When to harvest

• 8 Replies

JDGen

Butternut Squash - When to harvest
« on: August 30, 2009, 17:05 »
Hi All,

I've had a look round the site but can't see an answer to this.  I have 2 buttenut squash plants in my green house, with 2 large squashes on each plant.  I think that they are just starting to change colour, but is there any indicator as to when they are ready to harvest, and then when they are ready to eat?

Thanks for any help,

JDGen

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Butternut Squash - When to harvest
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 18:02 »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 18:03 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 18:28 »
I've grown loads of butternut squashes this year. Its really exciting to guess at how many there are, every time we go to the plot there seems to be one or two that we hadnt spotted earlier!  A while ago I decided to put a tile or upturned saucer underneath them to keep them off the ground and stop them rotting. When doing this, one came off in my hand,  :ohmy:I took it home and left it to ripen. We ate it the other day, and it was lovely! :lol: All the others I have left in situ until the parent plant dies back. the only reason for doing this is so that they ripen naturally on the plant and will then store for longer over winter. There does seem to be quite a few that look to have ripend already tho, the only indication of this is their colour, they look ripe.

JDGen

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 18:50 »
Brilliant thanks for the posts.  Love the idea of a squash breaking off in your hand!

I've grown mine up slanted poles in the greenhouse, so they are suspended in mid air with the help of netting!  :unsure:

So I could wait until they drop off, but I'm not sure what signs to look for.  I'd seen the posts about other types of squash.......

JDGen

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 18:58 »
When you cut them leave 1-1.5" of stalk attatched , the squash do not keep as well if you cut them shorter. Store them somewhere light , ventilated and frost free and they will keep till next may.

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 21:10 »
When you cut them leave 1-1.5" of stalk attatched , the squash do not keep as well if you cut them shorter. Store them somewhere light , ventilated and frost free and they will keep till next may.

Good tip and thanks, this is my first year growing them and wouldn't have thought of that. ;)

titch

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 22:32 »
brilliant tips, thanks

additional question - the parent plants (i have two) the leaves are yellowing, but some of the bs are small - will they continue to grow for a bit (actually had a thought, i should feed them something.......... will do it tomorrow, so maybe scrub the question) :wacko:
just keep breathing................

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:38 »
brilliant tips, thanks

additional question - the parent plants (i have two) the leaves are yellowing, but some of the bs are small - will they continue to grow for a bit (actually had a thought, i should feed them something.......... will do it tomorrow, so maybe scrub the question) :wacko:

If there's wide-spread yellowing of the leaves it may be too late to feed them (as it's nearing the end of the season) but watering the soil around them with a tomato feed might help - it is recommended for courgettes so could help.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

titch

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:10 »
thanks for that, didnt get up there yesterday will pop up today cos got to get some more runner beans

xx
butternut squash harvest

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 10, 2008, 09:41
by kezlou
xx
Butternut Squash - When to harvest?

Started by Lottie Digger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2013, 20:33
by Lottie Digger
xx
When to Harvest Butternut Squash?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2010, 14:17
by Alec_Macpherson
xx
Butternut Squash - dithering over whether to harvest

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2014, 09:53
by strangerachael

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 29 queries.