Really garlicky garlic

• 24 Replies

BabbyAnn

Re: Really garlicky garlic
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 21:06 »
I saw this thread on Friday and thought, oh dear I have just ordered some garlic from them, I wonder if mine will be any good.  When I got home the garlic was waiting.  I was very disappointed in the size, especially the music bulbs which are supposed to be particularly large.  Lets hope they grow well!

I've never thought Music as particularly large bulbs but being a hardneck variety, the cloves that form tend to be big.

Mine this year were tastless, you need two whole heads to get any flavour.

I am surprised - what is your soil like?  Maybe you need more "sulphur" in the soil (say potash)?  And did you eat them green or leave them to cure?  All the varieties I grew this year have been pungent, including Music (I save the biggest and healthiest bulbs from a harvest and use these to grow the following year)

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 09:09 »
We dried them off okay they were really small and just no real punch to them, very disappointed in them.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 18:01 »
Having returned the original garlic, I have received the replacements and I have to say, they seem much better. There are well over 100 cloves and they are a good size. All in all, a good result.Well done RGC.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 18:59 »
I haven't even got my original order yet!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2014, 00:52 »
I've had rubbish results from Music for 3 yrs in a row now, so I won't be planting them again. I did complain last year about the seed garlic because both bulbs and cloves were very small, which really isn't what you expect given the claims for Music being particularly big. They did send me out replacements, which were a bit bigger but still nowhere near as big as the Thermidrome and Iberian White I grew myself.

bravemurphy

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 09:42 »
I was going to order from here but sure am glad I didn't.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 12:40 »
I've had rubbish results from Music for 3 yrs in a row now, so I won't be planting them again. I did complain last year about the seed garlic because both bulbs and cloves were very small, which really isn't what you expect given the claims for Music being particularly big. They did send me out replacements, which were a bit bigger but still nowhere near as big as the Thermidrome and Iberian White I grew myself.

I think there is a misconception here - Music is a hardneck garlic which produces 5-7 large cloves, whereas both Thermidrome and Iberian Wight are softneck and reputed for producing extra large bulbs.

Music is also late maturing and to be fair, even I've shied away from late maturing varieties now as they don't seem to do as well on my plot as the early maturing ones.

ghost61

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 13:32 »
Looking around the garden centres all the garlic bulbs seem quite small.  I got mine from wilkos.  Two big bulbs and one little one in a pack for two quid.  RGC seem expensive once you add the dreaded P&P, but you do get a choice of varieties.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 14:59 »
I haven't even got my original order yet!

I contacted the RGC re this and they sent me a replacement. Guess what. The first package turned up today having spent three weeks in the post! (Not the fault of the company). Both lots look OK to me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 16:10 »
Lucky devil!  :lol:

xx
Garlic, really garlicky company Music hardneck, how is yours

Started by siztenboots on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 11:39
by gregmcalister
xx
Really Garlicky Music bulbs

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 21:25
by shokkyy
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 41 queries.