Pongy tree bark?

• 16 Replies

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
Pongy tree bark?
« on: October 10, 2009, 19:21 »
We've now added the tree bark to the girls larger pen but I'm worried about the 'smell' of it. I can't remember the last time we bought bagged tree bark so not sure if it should have this strong odour? It's very dark reddish brown and just called ornamental tree bark. There's nothing written on the bags stating that there are any additives or dyes in the stuff, or to keep animals and children away from it so is it 'normal' and am I just worrying for nothing?

Thank you for any advice or ideas  :) Jan.x

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Re: Pongy tree bark?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 19:38 »
Could it be that you need the light wood bark (pine)? I am sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't have the dark wood.
Somone who knows better should be along to give the proper advise

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 19:44 »
If it's labeled "play grade" it won't have any addatives in it and is suitable for the chooks run.  If you have a roof over the run the bark will dry out and the smell will go.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 20:08 »
Ma Lowe, I'm not sure now about whether it's OK or not as it is dark wood? :unsure: But hope that if it's definately 'bad' someone will let me know.

Aunt Sally, it's not labelled as 'play grade' but 'decorative bark' so still unsure  :unsure: We are covering the roof of the larger pen tomorrow though so any moisture will dry out.

Jan.x

chuckmum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 20:38 »
It is possible that if it's ornamental bark it has a stain or preservative on it - personally I wouldn't expose your hens to it if you have any doubt. I used untreated wood chip which only smells woody slightly.  ???

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 21:14 »
if your ever unsure of what bark to get especailly the bagged stuff why not just call your local council or tree surgeons they will have tons of bark chippings sometimes for free and thats better as it already comes complete with bugs  :lol: :lol: my girls  go so crazy when i get a deleivery and sometimes i am cruel and i load it in the run into big piles once they have gone to bed so they have to wait all night before they get to play in it , they watch me out the windows of the shed and u can tell it really annoys them  :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 22:10 »
Karlooben that's a really mean streak you have in you :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 22:31 »

Aunt Sally, it's not labelled as 'play grade' but 'decorative bark' so still unsure  :unsure: We are covering the roof of the larger pen tomorrow though so any moisture will dry out.

I'm sure I've used decorative bark in the past.

pink-chicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 22:41 »
Thanks everyone for your tips and ideas... I'm sure our girlies legs are looking darker and I am a bit concerned about woodstain or similar so we have decided to rake it out in the morning before they get up... Karlooben that is so cruel making your girlies wait like that! lol! :lol: Mind you at least they get to enjoy it all the more after the anticipation  :) We'll be off on a hunt for untreated bark tomorrow to tide us over before contacting the council as there might be a bit of a wait for delivery?

Jan.x
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 22:45 by pink-chicken »

Gareth J

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 09:28 »
sorry to sound simple :blush: we have tons of the stuff delivered to the allotments regularly and i havnt thought of using it. is it the best stuff to use?
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

power_of_p3

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:53 »
hey gareth, you dont sound simple ;) we have loads deliveded to the lottie too and it took md a while to realise i ould probably use itfor the chooks.  we get it off of a local surgeon that we met through freecycle and its great stuff specially if it sits a while and loads more buggies find their way in he he.  it does always have a strong smell but not of preserve, it could just be all the different trees mixed together.

bb ~~jo~~

Gareth J

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 11:03 »
Do you still use straw for the nest box? does the bark have to be dried out, or can it be used straight from the shredder?

power_of_p3

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 15:13 »
Hey Gareth,

Yes, we still use straw in the nest boxes and the roost, oh and a layer of non-shiny paper underneath to make it easier to clean, we have a pullout tray.  I would not recommend putting bark in those at all as the straw gives them a little more warmth if they need it, plus they will scratch around init (the bark) and that isn't really something to be encouraged in the roost and nest boxes, yes? and it will also attract bugs into the r&n.

As for straight from the shredder or dried out I don't think it really matters, we've used it both straight from the shredder and dried out, it's uncovered so it gets washed down regularly anyway (the pile at the lottie I mean).  The only thing I will say is don't bag it and leave it, especially when it's wet, it will rot and grow mould.  A little bit of the bluey powdery stuff ontop isn't much to worry about, it disipates once you start spreading it out.  Just be careful of really big chunk that could be sharp, I just take those out as there is never that many anyway.

Hope that helps Gareth.

BB ~~jo~~
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 15:15 by power_of_p3 »

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 15:49 »
Hi power or p3,
What you will have delievered to the allotment won't be bark but what is usually called "forest mulch" which is shredded tree & shubs.  It will of course have bark in it as well as leaves and other wood waste.  The only issue is, does it contain any poisonous plants such as yew which are highly toxic?  It might be safer not to use this unless you are confident of what it contains and is well rotten down.

In any case you should not use wood shreddings or bark (or hardwood shavings or chips ideally) in a house or nestbox or any enclosed space as these materials are highly susceptible to mould growth which can produce very dangerous toxins. Causing illness or death if eaten.  Also when dry after being wet, lots of spores which in a confined space can reach dangerous concentrations and infect your chickens respiratory systems.  Wood mulch is generally OK in an external run open to the atmosphere and preferably kept dry.  It needs to be changed occassionally and regularly racked over or poo picked and preferably disinfected occassionally too.

In a house use softwood shavings dust extracted, or chopped straw, or dry leaves and bracken (not hay) or other sterile processed bedding specifically intended for animals.
Regards
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 17:18 »
I would advise against braken as the spores are carsinogenic.  (Thinking of the humans rather than the chooks whose live may not be long enough to the affected).

xx
Pongy chicken run

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 01, 2008, 14:24
by muntjac
xx
bark

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 18:05
by k4t1e195
xx
Is this the right Bark Chips?

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 13:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
wood bark

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 17:34
by kittyb

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 32 queries.