Courgettes doing nothing!

• 7 Replies

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
Courgettes doing nothing!
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:35 »
Ok, I sowed 6 seeds 3 weeks ago and they have been in a cold frame.
Up until now they have done nothing, so was having a poke around in the compost this morning and they aren't doing anything apart from one, which i pulled at and the seed came out with a long root attatched (obviously B******d the only good one!)

They seemed to be quite deep down, and I'm wondering if i have buried them to0 far in the pot and this is the problem. 1 out of 6 isn't much good. Or is it too cold in the frame?

Can they be chitted like sweetcorn and runners?

goose

• Experienced Member
Re: Courgettes doing nothing!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:39 »
i would bring them inside onto a warm/sunny windowsill, im sure they will be fine :)

lisa80

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 15:15 »
I am no expert but i grew mine in modules in a cold frame and covered them with bag until they came up .First lot out of 15 seeds got 13 plants second time bout a month later put in 15 more and got 5 !!!!! very hit and miss second time round was much warmer outside so cant understand it nevermind

Brambles

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 15:23 »
I too have had no signs of activity in the courgette department!   I planted 5 about 4 weeks ago, then using my daughter's seeds (in case it was a bad batch) another 5 about 2 weeks ago..  nothing!  I have never had problems before...  Am thinking I will have yet another go in about a week if there is no movement before then.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 15:32 »
They are pretty cold sensitive, like squash and pumpkins. I am guessing even a cold frame was not good enough in the recent weather, particularly at night. If they are not up 3 weeks after planting then I would think to try again.

I germinate them in the airing cupboard then move them out on a windowsill as soon as they start to show (or they will get leggy). I plant them the same depth as the seed and then re-pot pretty soon after they come up. You also need to watch moisture level as too much and they rot.

Mmm Veg

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 16:51 »
I decided to do 2 varieties this year. 1 ordinary green variety and a yellow variety called 'parador' (i think). The green ones have come up no problem and really quickly, but the yellow ones are showing no sign of germinating. Are yellow varieties notoriously hard to germinate?

Thanks!

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 17:06 »
I decided to do 2 varieties this year. 1 ordinary green variety and a yellow variety called 'parador' (i think). The green ones have come up no problem and really quickly, but the yellow ones are showing no sign of germinating. Are yellow varieties notoriously hard to germinate?

Thanks!

I have Tuscany and Goldrush, the first type being green the second being yellow. I put two of each out on the plot, the green ones are going fine, while the first yellow one died and the second one also looks ill! Yellow courgettes seem to me to be weaker, I would guess because somewhere in the process of getting a yellow fruit the hardiness of the plant has been compromised – it could just be coincidence - but I am suspicious now!

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 17:08 »

We've had some success with Dobie's One Ball F1's; too much success in fact as we've given a few away and still have seven plants surging ahead in pots on our greenhouse, and that will probably grow enough courgettes to put us off for life.

If you still have no luck you're welcome to come to Glasgow and relieve us of a few :D

xx
courgettes

Started by gypsy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 15:07
by gypsy
xx
Is this the end? Courgettes

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 13:29
by Grubbypaws
xx
Not enough courgettes!!!

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2022, 19:12
by Fisherman
xx
Courgettes

Started by Ali on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2006, 10:26
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 35 queries.