What's up with my Courgettes?

• 9 Replies

bb_odiham

« on: May 24, 2008, 10:41 »
I'm wondering if, firstly, anyone can identify that these are actually my courgettes growing - I'm assuming the first leaves when sprouting are round? - and secondly, what's eating them?

I planted seeds directly into soil about 2 weeks ago and so I'm happy they've started growing - it seems something else is happy too!

At this rate, I don't think they'll get much further :(
Jack of all trades, master of none.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 10:43 »
Was there meant to be a photo for identification?

Yes the first leaves are rounded and it's most likely slugs.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bb_odiham

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41 »
Hiya, yeah, isn't the photo showing up?

I would guess it may well be slugs, which leaves me to thinking I really should get prepared for slugs early this year. It's likely it's going to be another wet one. I had hundreds of slugs around the garden last year :(

http://img365.imageshack.us/my.php?image=courgetteslr2.jpg

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 15:29 »
I have some round fruiting courgettes growing and the fruit is getting to the size of a small golf ball and then going yellow or rotting.  :(   We have had a lot of heavy rain lately, is that the problem does anyone think? If so nothing much I can do about the rain!  We had another heavy storm last night :(  
Pamela

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 19:45 »
If they just started fruiting, then it's quite common for them to lose the first few fruitlets.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bb_odiham

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 23:06 »
I've had a few more leaves nailed. Looks like I may have to write this lot off and start again, as I can't see them growing successfully when the first leaves budding are half eaten :(

Some home made slug/snail traps are going out tomorrow - saved up a pile of plastic bottles I'm going to cut up and use for the purpose.

As everything I'm doing is organic, I'm going for the salt water or beer trap to see if it'll at least cut down on the number of critters

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 08:53 »
You could try them in pots, easier slug defence. 8)

Brian_of_Bozeat

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31 »
Trim the bottom off of a 2Litre pop bottle and give em their own mini greenhouse, just until they get a couple more leaves and the weather warms back up.

It will keep the slugs off in the meantime too...
If only we could teach the Slugs to only eat the Weeds, and then the Pigeons to only eat the Slugs!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 12:47 »
Quote from: "Brian_of_Bozeat"
Trim the bottom off of a 2Litre pop bottle and give em their own mini greenhouse, just until they get a couple more leaves and the weather warms back up.

It will keep the slugs off in the meantime too...

I'd be wary of that - the weather has warmed up, sun is out & it's 85 F in my greenhouses with all the doors & windows open.

Courgettes are NOT a hot house plant.

bb_odiham

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 23:03 »
My first round of courgettes didn't survive.
I have been told to simply plant them inside to start them off, but I'm out of space on my window sill. Besides, they started growing perfectly outside and if it wasn't for the slugs, I'm sure they would've been a success.

I have planted some more, inside 2 liter bottles with the bottoms cut off - and have also planted some without a mini greenhouses.

I invested in some organic slug pellets as after reading the forum and other sources, it seems it's one of the few successful ways of slug control.

The courgettes with the mini-greenhouses I'll keep an eye on - as DD has pointed out, it can get too hot.

I could've tried some chilli's in the mini-greenhouses, but have now run out of space in my small area :(

xx
courgettes

Started by chris on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 20:54
by Yorkie
xx
Little courgettes going bad

Started by Sal1610 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 23:47
by KT
xx
Courgettes

Started by siani on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 19:08
by kermit
xx
Courgettes

Started by davidmw on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 10:40
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 36 queries.