Ducks

• 11 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Ducks
« on: November 26, 2014, 15:15 »
Well, the animal collection is growing. OH went off to market and came back with two bedraggled ducks in a sack. He only went to look (?) ::)

They are not what we wanted, we had agreed to buy some Caruga (emerald) ducks but had to pass on them as the pen we were going to put them in is taken up with some ex-batts we agreed to look after for six weeks. It has now been nine weeks and the owner is now saying she will be back after winter festival! What makes me mad is that there was no communication and we have had to chase her up twice. So rather than get the nine, OH got these two meat birds which will be big enough to repel the chooks and are now housed in a tiny pen but the garden has been fenced so they can all go back out there. Not quite as pretty as the Cayugas, but friendly, might be a boy and girl, and have had a reprieve. We may try for the carugas another time if we get on with these. I'm sure these will like slugs.

The chooks rush over to see what is happening

Splash is not at all sure about these

Springlands

Re: Ducks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 15:30 »
Oh Tosca - they are so pretty - our ducks share the run with our hens and they all get on well. The only problems we ever had was when OH got two white Sussex hens and the drake decided that they were rivals and after his girls. It was so funny to see him chasing them every time they ventured near him.  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 19:06 »
They look lovely (and both look like girls unless they are moulting). :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

tosca100

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 04:06 »
It would be nice if they were, but we're not really bothered. As long as they like bugs and slugs! :lol:

tosca100

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45 »
Well, it took a couple of days, but the sun has come out (freezing though) and the ducks have ventured into the water, so nice and clean and happy pottering with the chickens.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:08 »
Lovely Tosca. I could watch mine for ages when they are having a splash in their pool.  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 13:21 »
lovely Tosca, and yes look like girls to me (only by the fact that I cant see the tail curl)
Staffies are softer than you think.

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 14:32 »
As I said, it would be nice, but their tail feathers are pretty ragged, they were filthy when we got them. But they are very happy now and travel around a lot, busy busy.

tosca100

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 14:40 »
Well, it seems that we have one of each, despite no curly feather. We have now got another five smaller ducks which we picked up in very smelly condition from an ex-pat....and drove 45 minutes back home in cold, wet and foggy weather with the windows open....phew! The new ducks are four girla and one drake, and the chap we got them from says all the girls have started laying. When our two pristine whicte ducks were introduced it was soon aparent that one of our's fancied one of the new girls. They have had baths and the white one is getting there...but has a way to go to be as clean as Spot nd Spotty (sorry no names)

Helloooooo.....

Bath time

A few more goes and we will have another white duck

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:20 »
They are lovely Tosca  :) The girls with the bands of darker feathers across their heads are especially pretty  :)

Springlands

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:30 »
Oh they are lovely Tosca.  :D

tosca100

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 08:39 »
And we had three eggs this morning. They are awfully nervous even though they were supposed to be pets, more  so than the two sorry specimens shoved in a sack in the market.

xx
New Ducks

Started by Indiana on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 10:58
by pekinpete
xx
Ducks...

Started by chasechicken on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post November 18, 2010, 10:04
by swisschicken
xx
Catching Ducks

Started by knoxxie on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 13:35
by penninehillbilly
question
Ex-battery Ducks???

Started by Caralou on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 15:23
by scabs

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 40 queries.