things I can't grow

• 27 Replies

jaydig

things I can't grow
« on: December 01, 2015, 19:26 »
Haven't decided on anything new yet, but have decided what I won't be growing. This year it's dwarf French beans. They join the ranks of spring onions and aubergines, these things I've stopped growing because they just won't grow for me. Anyone else have certain veg that just don't do well for them?

I can't grow a decent swede to save my life.   I have great crops of caulis, which I almost didn't bother to grow because I thought they'd be difficult, but swedes, that everyone else seems to find easy, have just defeated me. Any suggestions for varieties that might be more successful than others?

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Re: things I can't grow
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 19:40 »
Parsnips , swede and carrots seem to defy me.  On the success front cauliflowers , potatoes and tomatoes.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

hiccup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 20:13 »
            Sprouts. Absolutely useless. Followed all the advice, diffferent varieties, the plants themselves huge,
               but just keep on blowing. Be back next year though. The other brassicas fine. gggrrree.
keep on digging

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 21:13 »
I can't grow a decent swede to save my life.   I have great crops of caulis, which I almost didn't bother to grow because I thought they'd be difficult, but swedes, that everyone else seems to find easy, have just defeated me. Any suggestions for varieties that might be more successful than others?

I share your pain. I had 3 years of useless swedes. This year they were module sown in June and planted out in July in a bed with lots of leaves & some manure when they had a good root system. And I have decent swedes! Not whoppers, but they actually look like swedes this year.

I grew Gilfeathers Turnip and Joan.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 21:21 »
Haven't decided on anything new yet, but have decided what I won't be growing. This year it's dwarf French beans. They join the ranks of spring onions and aubergines, these things I've stopped growing because they just won't grow for me. Anyone else have certain veg that just don't do well for them?

I find the biggest problem with swedes is the number of things that want to eat them or grow on them. Pigeon, flea beetles, mildew, cabbage whites etc. I find they grow best started in modules and then transplanted under netting at a decent spacing - 18" They also like rich well matured ground.

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 22:15 »
I have had lots of success with the variety Joan from Real Seeds. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 10:39 »
Swedes, parsnips and cabbages. They all get eaten by nasties.  :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 13:37 »
Swedes, parsnips and cabbages. They all get eaten by nasties.  :(

So you CAN grow them, but something else eats them first? I know that feeling  :dry:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 13:40 »
On current performance over the last 4 years, I can't grow parsnips. I got 3 seeds to germination point last year, which was at least a start, then they got slugged.

Next year is the Year of the Parsnip.

andimac

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 13:52 »
Carrots.
Everyone else's carrots always look like they're out of Tescos. Mine actually are because I can't get any results from them so have to go shopping! Either they don't appear, or if they do, they're tiny, split or forked.
The only good thing is that they aren't affected by flies but that's probably only because even to them, they look pretty unappetising...

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 16:20 »
 ;)

Hi

Swedes are a so called open ground crop, I have tried them quite a few times but they always get mildew or rot from the bottom up!

Apparently they need lots of fresh air around them, I have tried spacing them 18 inches apart in my allotment and they still failed.

I have given up on them for ever, the tennis ball sized ones they have in the supermarkets are immature, hard ,tasteless   yet people still buy them!

Was in Northern Ireland a couple of years ago, theirs were almost football sized,very sweet even to eat raw easy to cut up and the flesh was a pale orange colour they were delicious!

Never been back so I have not had a treat since then with swedes, even in Scotland, the land of Saint Andy  ;)

STOP, and smell the roses!

jaydig

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 19:40 »
Thank goodness it's not just me that can't grow a decent swede.  Thanks for all the advice, and next year I'm going to try the recommended variety 'Joan', and start them off in modules.  I'll try giving them more space than I have in the past and see what happens.  If I don't get decent swedes next year I think I'll give up trying!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 09:01 »
I can highly recommend Willemsburger - it's a green topped variety which used to be available from a few online seed suppliers but I can only find them from Moles Seeds now.  A couple of years ago I trialled Marian, Invitation and Willemsburger - the biggest and best were Willemsburger, followed by Marian.  I chose those 3 because they are clubroot resistant, but I also started them off in modules to make sure they got a good root system before planting them in manured soil with a good handful of lime in each planting hole.  I also had them in fairly tall cages covered in debris netting, and used slug pellets.  Throughout summer I was amazed by the number of cabbage root flies on the debris netting and when I started harvesting perfect swede, I realised that it was well worth using a finer mesh netting to keep them out not just the cabbage white butterflies.  However, by September the whiteflies still got in but the damage was minimal. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

BabbyAnn

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 09:52 »
Is this the same variety?

it is - but not a good photo as the swede I grew were round, not parsnip-shaped LOL

xx
Will things grow?!

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:26
by FCG
xx
Different, Exciting Things To Grow.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 11:29
by LotuSeed
xx
Relax, things will grow

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:46
by woodburner
xx
Show the kids how things grow

Started by Oliver on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 01, 2006, 13:32
by Oliver

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 34 queries.