things I can't grow

• 27 Replies

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: things I can't grow
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 13:41 »
I'm still struggling to grow Aubergines. I tried some different varieties this year but I don't think the weather was on my side, so I'll try again next year.

I've also struggled with swedes. I read that they don't like being transplanted so sowed directly this year and they were better. Not great, but better!

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 14:17 »
A favourite quote from the Simpsons,  "some folk couldn't grow stink on a monkey !".  ;)

trunk monkey

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 21:18 »
We struggled to grow swedes on our allotments for many years. Our allotment guru thought it was due to sulphur deficiency with power station emissions being cleaned up. Then we started using "nutrimate" and the big swedes returned.  :)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 17:33 »
For me it's carrots, they start out ok and taste great when they are miniature, but grow a full sized carrot that has not been eaten and nibbled by the bugs.  Its not happening for me I'm afraid.  :( >:(

I vowed I would never try them again then some kind person gave me some free seeds...aaarrgghhh!!!! 8)

oldgrunge

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 21:06 »
For me it's carrots, they start out ok and taste great when they are miniature, but grow a full sized carrot that has not been eaten and nibbled by the bugs.  Its not happening for me I'm afraid.  :( >:(

I vowed I would never try them again then some kind person gave me some free seeds...aaarrgghhh!!!! 8)
Grow under very fine mesh cloches, all your troubles will be over.
edit to fix quote
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 13:46 by Yorkie »
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

grove

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 16:06 »
I keep trying to find pigeon resistant varieties of brassicas ;-) until I do, I am going to struggle. The birds seem to take joy in breaking down / ripping apart / removing even the most resiliently built netting!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 07:04 »
Oooh, not just me then!  Swedes, carrots, parsnips (although 3 parsnip whoppers made it through from 2 packets, so it is technically possible  :D)   will keep trying though  :tongue2:
Not sure why my sprouts did't make it- it must be me as my neighbour's are wonderful, but I do organic and he sprays  :unsure:

Snoop

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 08:29 »
Carrots.
Everyone else's carrots always look like they're out of Tescos. Mine actually are because I can't get any results from them so have to go shopping! Either they don't appear, or if they do, they're tiny, split or forked.
The only good thing is that they aren't affected by flies but that's probably only because even to them, they look pretty unappetising...

Try Paris Market or Sprint. Paris Market are round in shape - not much good if you want a traditional-looking root, but they taste very sweet and are great for grating as well as slicing. Sprint grow, according to the blurb, only 10 cm long. I tried them last year in a very unpromising clay bed as an experiment and had surprisingly good results. Some grew quite a bit longer than 10 cm, despite the poor ground.

al78

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 17:18 »

Grow under very fine mesh cloches, all your troubles will be over.
edit to fix quote

Not necessarily, fine mesh will not stop the slugs nibbling the seedlings down to the ground.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 18:50 »
Dare I say it but to date slugs have not been a problem  :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 09:45 »
Dare I say it but to date slugs have not been a problem  :ohmy:

But they are for me, to the point where I actually sow some slug pellets alongside the carrot seed in the ground itself, as the little black slugs were devouring the seedlins as they germinated. This, plus the fine mesh and constant stone picking prior to sowing, has improved things no end.

Swede still eludes me, but I shall try again next year...maybe I need to feed them better when they are little?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Rich72

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 09:53 »
Definitely carrots. Had 2 germinate out of about 80 sown. And they soon got nibbled. A decent radish also evaded me last season

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 14:47 »
try to avoid growing as many this year, and see what actually..rally..absolutely I can avoid and not grown any of that type  :mad:

xx
Will things grow?!

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:26
by FCG
xx
Relax, things will grow

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:46
by woodburner
xx
Different, Exciting Things To Grow.

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post September 28, 2014, 11:29
by LotuSeed
xx
Things I won't bother to grow next year.

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

111 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 01:02
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.