Different, Exciting Things To Grow.

• 29 Replies

MickyB

• Experienced Member
Different, Exciting Things To Grow.
« on: September 15, 2014, 00:27 »
Has anyone had success growing crops/plants that are considered to be different from the norm?

I am happy growing spuds, brassica's, onions, peas and the like but I am not adverse to a little experimentation either, this years (failed) experiment was Aubergines, any idea's for the future years?

LotuSeed

Re: Different, Exciting Things To Grow.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:28 »
This year I'm growing peanuts as an experiment. The plants look really healthy and have flowered several times. Won't know what's underneath until it's time to pull them up. *fingers crossed there's something underneath!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Dai

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 05:37 »
This year ive grown Exploding Cucumbers.
Quite fun when they pop open but i havnt eaten one yet.

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:55 »
I've bought seeds for Cumin and am really looking forward to growing that next year.

Where labelled ( it's sometimes disguised as emulsifiers etc ) I no longer buy any soya product due to the GM problem that I don't want to encourage, and in particular the glyphosphate weedkiller residues in it. So, imagine my delight when I came across some soya beans in a 49p seed sale recently, both gm free and suited to the UK climate. Sadly, upon further investigation, I find they are almost indigestible without ludicrously long processing. It appears folk in those countries that have always grown soya bean rarely eat the bean itself. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 07:56 by beesrus »

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 08:07 »
Awaiting the seed circle package to see what I can shoehorn into my growing plan for next season 

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 09:38 »
This year I'm growing peanuts as an experiment. The plants look really healthy and have flowered several times. Won't know what's underneath until it's time to pull them up. *fingers crossed there's something underneath!
I also planted peanuts as a bit of fun for the grandchildren. Unfortunately nothing happened.  :(  How did you do it?

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 12:26 »
I have been experimenting  with different salad leaves and sewed Claytonia  (Winter Purslane) in June  :unsure:

We have loved it  :D

It has produced all year as a cut and come again with no input from me and no problems AND it tastes great. It has a lovely almost crunchy texture and looks great  on the plate.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 14:08 »
Big problem with growing peanuts is that the Squirels dig the plants up as they can smell what they think is peanuts.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Auntiemogs

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 14:18 »
Big problem with growing peanuts is that the Squirels dig the plants up as they can smell what they think is peanuts.
:D
I have been experimenting  with different salad leaves and sewed Claytonia  (Winter Purslane) in June  :unsure:
It has produced all year as a cut and come again with no input from me and no problems AND it tastes great. It has a lovely almost crunchy texture and looks great  on the plate.
I bought some seeds a while ago and didn't get around to sowing it Grubbypaws.  I shall deffo try it now (I love crunchy) so thanks for the 'heads up'.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 18:31 »
Some great idea's to pinch  :)

But exploding cucumbers? Must be a joke.. ... ..

BabbyAnn

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 18:37 »
I bought some seeds a while ago and didn't get around to sowing it Grubbypaws.  I shall deffo try it now (I love crunchy) so thanks for the 'heads up'.  :)

I'm the same - apparently it is rich in vitamin C and omega 3 fatty acids and a good leafy green to feed to laying hens (not too much as it is also high in oxalates but so is spinach and chard ....)

Some great idea's to pinch  :)

But exploding cucumbers? Must be a joke.. ... ..

The Real Seeds Catalogue - read the warning underneath the description  :lol:

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 18:48 »
HEALTH WARNING.
DANGER OF EYE INJURY! HARD SEED IS EJECTED AT GREAT SPEED.
DO NOT HOLD RIPE FRUIT NEAR FACE.
HARVEST FRUIT AFTER IT HAS OPENED.
DO NOT ALLOW CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH FRUIT.

We know this sounds silly, but we recommend that YOU WEAR EYE PROTECTION WHILE HARVESTING AND PROCESSING FRUIT.

Sounds like the one for me.  :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 20:45 »
I think Oca are great and fat babies. Flat leaved Rusian kale and white beetroot too.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Totty

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 21:53 »
You could grow a couple of loofah plants. Although not edible, it's useful to grow your own sponges!

Totty

LotuSeed

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 06:41 »
I also planted peanuts as a bit of fun for the grandchildren. Unfortunately nothing happened.  :(  How did you do it?

I bought them as plug plants back in the middle of May. I thought they were pretty neat looking and figured even if they didn't produce anything they'd still add interest to the garden :tongue2: I didn't really do anything to maintain them, I just kind of let them do their thing. (In hindsight I'll probably should have made sure the soil around the plant was really friable so that the pegs could easily penetrate the soil)
So far they have flowered in two flushes and when I checked them yesterday there were pegs going down from the main "branches" of the plant into the ground. These shoots seemed pretty well anchored in and I'm hoping that's because there are peanuts forming at the ends of them, but I won't know until I dig them up some time in October.

If you started from nuts it's possible that they rotted before they had a chance to sprout.
Did you use raw, shelled nuts and not roasted ones? Lol

xx
things I can't grow

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 14:47
by whitehill1
xx
Will things grow?!

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:26
by FCG
xx
Relax, things will grow

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:46
by woodburner
xx
Things I won't bother to grow next year.

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

111 Replies
Last post August 21, 2013, 01:02
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 33 queries.