Things I won't bother to grow next year.

• 111 Replies

Kirpi

Things I won't bother to grow next year.
« on: August 07, 2013, 22:49 »
I don't think I will bother growing shelling peas of any kind next year as I just harvested 2lbs of peas from a section of the pea bed about 2 by 10 feet. I may as well buy a bag from the supermarket.  Instead, I'll be sowing Sugar Snap types so we can eat the whole pod and grow them in long succession.

Cabbages - take up far too much space for such a small return and I'm a bit touchy about sharing my cabbage leaves with slugs. There's only the wife and I so a cabbage goes over in the fridge before we get to fully use it.
Instead, I'll be growing kale so we can take off leaves as we need and keep the plant going for longer.

I don't really like Broad Beans, but always end up growing them!

BobE

Re: Things I won't bother to grow next year.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 22:51 »
80 winter cabbage, we would eat what? one a fortnight!! but they all germinated.  What do you do??

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 22:55 »
spinach. We don't like it but couldn't say no to kind plot neighbour who gave us the seeds

BobE

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 22:58 »
spinach. We don't like it but couldn't say no to kind plot neighbour who gave us the seeds

If you wilt spinich down with peas you might grow to like it.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 23:05 »
Rocket, unless I invest in some fine netting. Too many flea beetle holes very off putting in a salad have been throwing handfuls of the stuff into omelettes. Same goes for pak choi

Less main crop spuds. Mine arnt yet ready there hogging room on the plot and I prefer newer spuds

Less strawberries I inherited just far too many of them and have frozen so many. would rather have the space for some raspberries so I have something to eat fresh when the strawberries are done.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 23:07 »

If you wilt spinich down with peas you might grow to like it.
I'll try that. We didn't like the spinach soup I made....had to tip it down the sink :(

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 23:11 »
This is a bit..

Halve the leeks lengthways, rinse under the tap, then finely slice • Put into the empty lidded pan on a high heat with 1 tablespoon of oil, stirring often • Finely slice the bacon and add to the chicken pan, tossing regularly • Stir the spinach and peas into the leeks and once the spinach has wilted and the peas are tender, pile on a board or platter with the chicken and bacon on top • Serve with the gratin

Here is the whole thing.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/golden-chicken-braised-greens-potato-gratin

Ive done it and it worked.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 23:50 »
Climbing mangetout.  They are lovely to snack on, but for the space they take up I'd rather grow sugar snaps (easier to freeze too), I just need to find a tall variety...

Also, no second early spuds.  Don't eat a lot of spuds and would rather use the space for Charlottes.
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Sparkyrog

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 23:57 »
Charlottes are second earlies  :D
I cook therefore I grow

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 01:06 »
I grow Charlottes as a maincrop salad potato.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 08:15 »
 :)Thanks Bob, have made a note of that and will try next week. (everything will be next week in my house) ::)

Kirpi

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 08:26 »
Depending on how the Sarpo Mira blight resistant maincrop potatoes do this year, I may or may not bother with them again as Kestrel double as a good 2nd Early good storer and good in salads too.

Agree with Mange Toute - good for snacking but would be better use of space (and more protein for your money) to grow sugar snaps. Anyone know of a sugar snap that grows tall to make best use of space?

seaside

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 08:50 »
I think the grape vines are going to have to go. Have tried over 3 years to revive the 3 vines I inherited, but little joy. Look nice for a month until they take over, but little usable fruit. I can only assume they're not the right variety. Does anyone have any regular success and know what variety they have ?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59 »
I think the grape vines are going to have to go. Have tried over 3 years to revive the 3 vines I inherited, but little joy. Look nice for a month until they take over, but little usable fruit. I can only assume they're not the right variety. Does anyone have any regular success and know what variety they have ?
The Sharpham winery in the dart valley should be fairly close to you ? Perhaps a tour of that to find out what they grow  ;)

seaside

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 09:04 »
Never thought about that Rog, I cycle through the estate on the odd occasion. Good idea. thanks.

xx
Things I don't bother doing on the allotment....

Started by jonotaylor on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 21:37
by whistler
xx
cucumbers-shall I bother this year

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 13:53
by Herb
xx
things I can't grow

Started by jaydig on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 14:47
by whitehill1
xx
Will things grow?!

Started by Kelly1976 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:26
by FCG

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 33 queries.