Curly red kale

• 14 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Curly red kale
« on: November 17, 2012, 16:43 »
This year I tried Italian black kale and green curly. We really like the green curly kale but don't like the black kale, so next year I'm toying with the idea of doing green and red curly kale instead. Can anyone tell me if curly red kale tastes the same as green, better, worse?

Nikkithefoot

Re: Curly red kale
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 17:53 »
Personally I though it was a slightly milder taste than the standard green curly kale. Ok for a bit of colour on the plot, but was a tad washed out looking on the plate. I would grow again.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 18:51 »
Red curly kale is still quite a strong flavour, Shokky, but we use very little of it as a 'plate veg', and Mrs S uses a few leaves to blend in the soups, where kale really comes into its own as a brilliant colourant, and a big 'bite'!

We only ever grow a few, and just yesterday decided to grow only a couple next year, and tuck them in with another brassica, and use the space for more peas or summat...

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 20:04 »
The red kale needs a touch of frost to develop the flavour, otherwise it's a bit bland until then.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 20:13 »
The red kale needs a touch of frost to develop the flavour, otherwise it's a bit bland until then.

Is that the same with the green? First time I've grown it this year. I've picked some & enjoyed it though.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 20:25 »
You can eat the green kale before frost, but it's much tastier after some frost touches it. I find it also grows healthier and faster after frost.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 23:12 »
I like the frilly red kale. It looks a picture out on the plot next to a row of Musselburgh leeks. When the sun hits them it's a knock out  :)  Red kale leaf is apparently rather marvellous once it's been dried

I like all kales, and the Tuscan is very good and you can reduce its strength somewhat by slicing it and adding it to minestrone or a stir fry. Remove the thick central bit first

Black kale traditionally is used for ribollita

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:51 »
I like the frilly red kale. It looks a picture out on the plot next to a row of Musselburgh leeks. When the sun hits them it's a knock out  :)  Red kale leaf is apparently rather marvellous once it's been dried

I like all kales, and the Tuscan is very good and you can reduce its strength somewhat by slicing it and adding it to minestrone or a stir fry. Remove the thick central bit first

Black kale traditionally is used for ribollita

That made me Google 'ribollita' CQ - marvellous and thank you for the tip!

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 00:39 »
All part of the service  :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 03:12 »
I've grown the red curly kale and the red viened rushian flat leaf which is easier to grow and wash. I've not found a huge difference in taste though.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05 »
This is my first year growing kale and I need some help please  :unsure:

I am growing Kale 'Nero di Toscana' as it sounds very winter hardy.

Questions: 

When do I harvest and which leaves should I take?

Do I need to pinch out the centre stem as it suggests on the T&M site and if so when do you do this?

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 15:02 »
It's commonly called Tuscany or Dinosaur kale (due to it's colour) and can be harvested once the plant is a reasonable size that losing a few leaves won't matter. I usually start on the outside and pick inward to keep outer leaves fresher and tender. My friend does the opposite, picks the 'middle' leaves and ignores the tatty outer ones. I never pinch out the centre stem as I find that's the part that grows the best during very cool months. 

Grubbypaws

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 16:30 »
Thank you Trillium that is really helpful.

It is always a bit embarrassing when you try something new and haven’t a clue. 

It is going to be even more embarrassing when I get my 4th star and become a senior member; as I posted a long time ago I think the number of posts for me reflects my ignorance rather than my knowledge!!

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45 »
Take out the centre stalkfrom the leaf as it's tough.  I like my Tuscan kale in stir fries and soups like minestrone. Very useful winter veg and it will stand for ages and the rabbits and pigeons don't seem to touch it unless it's snowing and they can't get to the leeks  :D

viettaclark

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 12:34 »
I love black kale! It stands in well over winter, giving a brilliant early crop and as said before...birds, caterpillars AND slugs don't tend to ravage them.
I do an early sowing and a later one so some are 2' high and have been cropping for 2/3 months now but the others are about 6/8" and will come into their own next year.

xx
Curly kale

Started by steve r on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 10:22
by agapanthus
xx
Curly kale help

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 22:02
by mumofstig
xx
curly Kale

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 23:02
by penance
xx
Curly Kale

Started by BazTheGardener on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 11:11
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 40 queries.