I finally have chickens! EXCITING!

• 11 Replies

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
I finally have chickens! EXCITING!
« on: February 27, 2011, 19:07 »
At last, after 4 months of planning and lots of setbacks, I got my chickens yesterday!

They are the most beautiful, cleverest, sweetest girls ever!  :wub: I think I'm in love!

OK enough with the exclamation marks!  Here are some details:

I have six pullets of three different breeds, all aged between 12 and 17 weeks.  I need to email the breeder and ask him to tell me again who is what age, because my visit to pick them up is a bit of a blur.  :unsure:

They are:
2 x Light Sussex (Sylvia and Pearl)
2 x Barred Plymouth Rocks (Elsie and Phoebe)
2 x Barnevelders (Minnie-Rose and Patience)

I picked them up yesterday afternoon and brought them home in my non-air conditioned car on a 27 degree day, with an hour and a half driving time, so we were all a bit stressed by the time we got home.  The girls went into their shady coop with some bowls of cool water and I left them alone for a couple of hours.  They were soon looking better.

On the advice of the breeder (a lovely, helpful man) I gave them a bowl of food at 4pm.  It was their usual food (he uses the same brand I have) mixed with a bit of water to make it like damp muesli.  They scoffed the lot, as well as some worms I dug up for them and a handful of greens.  They have dry food and water on demand, but seemed to like the wet stuff much better.

I sat on an upturned bucket in their coop for the rest of the afternoon, getting to know them, letting them get used to me and deciding on their names.  Just as well it eventually got dark or I would still be sitting there.  :lol:

At 7pm they ate a bit of dry food, had a drink of water, then started looking up for the first time - looking for a place to roost!  :D I told you they were clever!

I left them to it so I wouldn't scare them off their perches when I got up to leave.  Then later on I peeped in and they were all roosting - not on their perches but on the dresser which will eventually have their nest boxes on it.  ::)

Today I'm going to fence off a smallish area within their large run and let them out of their coop for the first time.  While they are outside I will refine a few things like the height of their water dispenser so they can't poo in it, and try to work out why they wanted to sleep on the dresser instead of the perches, which are higher.

So finally I have joined the ranks of the real chicken keepers.  Hooray!  :D

Springlands

Re: I finally have chickens! EXCITING!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 19:55 »
Hooray indeed  :D :D Once they get to know you they will be really friendly - ours love being picked up and petted.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 19:56 »
What an exciting time for you! You will be losing many an hour just watching your ladies from now on... be prepared to be late somewhere  lol

Do post some pictures, it would be lovely to see them  8)
Alan

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 19:59 »
yes piccies please  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 20:05 »
Yes, pics will be on their way!  It's a bit dark in their coop to take pics but as soon as I have them out in the run I will do so.

It's now 9am which I believe is a decent hour to be out stapling some netting up for the temporary run.  I was out at first light this morning chatting to the girls but thought my neighbours might not be keen on such early-morning construction!  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 20:15 »
I was out at first light this morning chatting to the girls but thought my neighbours might not be keen on such early-morning construction!  :D

Heh heh heh - another one of us, another one less of those strange non chicken folk  ;)  :lol:

Enjoy your 'ladies' Lindeeggs  :D

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 20:38 »
Come on Lindeggs.  We've been waiting sooooo long to see your girlies  :D  :D

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 02:29 »
Come on Lindeggs.  We've been waiting sooooo long to see your girlies  :D  :D

I know I know!  I've only taken about 500 photos so far!  :D  But I've never posted pics here before and I'm struggling to get them down to 128 kB. 

Watch this space...

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35 »
Here we go...

Oh dear, in reducing the file size I have reduced the quality terribly!  I will have to try again with a different photo editor.

4pm_nap_sm.jpg
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:37 by Lindeggs »

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:28 »
Congratulations Lindeggs, you have waited and planned for so long it must seem a little surreal to be watching your girlies at last.  You will be in for so many hours of pleasure.
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 13:34 »
Oh they're beautiful!  Oh it makes me want to go get some more!  Sweet things, they are! :)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 17:13 »
They are gorgeous. Are they settling in ok?

xx
Finally got our chickens, i watch them

Started by bajmoe on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 17:06
by evie2
xx
So Exciting!!!!!

Started by Fraggle on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 11:08
by Anndee
xx
Exciting 24 hours

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2010, 17:13
by Pretty Chick
xx
Even more exciting on the egg front ....

Started by debih on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2011, 11:58
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.