Help identifying plant

• 11 Replies

Hillbillypop

Help identifying plant
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:37 »
Hi
I am new here but have a question ?
I have attached a photo of a plant that blew in as a seed  and i wonder if anyone can identify it the plant was facing north east and i live on the west coast of the isle of islay the flower is 8mm in diameter and the plant grows out along the ground the leaves are shiny and waxy looking
regards
will
in the wind 2.JPG
DSCF7919.JPG
121.jpg
tp.JPG
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 20:47 by Hillbillypop »

catllar

Re: Help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 15:07 »
Hello Hillbillypop and welcome ! I have no idea what your plant is, the flowers look as if they could be a brassica type (got 4 petals like a cross shape) and the leaves kind of resemble a little chinese mustard, but that doesn't really help much does it? I hope someone on here will have another go and have a more educated guess! Looks pretty, by the way.

Hillbillypop

Re: Help
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 09:58 »
Hello Hillbillypop and welcome ! I have no idea what your plant is, the flowers look as if they could be a brassica type (got 4 petals like a cross shape) and the leaves kind of resemble a little chinese mustard, but that doesn't really help much does it? I hope someone on here will have another go and have a more educated guess! Looks pretty, by the way.
it was alright for now't and it has got trough the thick frost we had over winter
As we had a lot of north easterly over winter i wondered if it could have blown in from scandinavia
it is  quite like sedum in its nature sprawling low on the ground the leaves cup down the way and are very shinny

catllar

Re: Help identifying plant
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 18:16 »
Judging by the silence on here no-one has any other ideas - perhaps you've got a new plant there - in the absence of any replies I'd be tempted to claim it  as a "Hillbillislaynius" do we have any scandihuvian members out there who may know better???

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 21:48 »
Sorry it is a bit small for me to see properly (have clicked on it already   ;) )

Any chance of a larger size please?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 19:55 »
Have just checked in my trusty Keble Martin, could it be Perfoliate Penny Cress, Thlaspi perfoliatum? It's a cruciferae as already suggested. Fairly sure it's a Penny Cress but on looking on Plantlife site it appears to be a bit different leaf and very rare so maybe not the Perfoliate one. Send a pic to Plantlife. I'd be interested to know what it is.. I'm a bit of of wild flower 'twitcher'  :wub:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 20:04 by HilaryG »
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 20:51 »
The whole family is on it now!  :tongue2: Our most intelligent suggestion is Common Scurvy Grass, Cochlearia officinalis, Cruciferae. 
S7002120.JPG

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 22:15 »
 You could be right -- it is certainly something related and given Hillbillypop's location it seems likely  :D :D :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 22:17 by sunshineband »

Hillbillypop

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 20:33 »
Lepidium bidentatum, Hawaiian endemic
This is the nearest i can find to it for leaf shape and flower
i will post some more close ups however i notice most of theese plant are upright where mine is crawling
DSCF7942.JPG
DSCF7941.JPG
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 20:51 by Hillbillypop »

Hillbillypop

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30 »
The whole family is on it now!  :tongue2: Our most intelligent suggestion is Common Scurvy Grass, Cochlearia officinalis, Cruciferae. 
Does that mean its a weed?

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 22:00 »
I suppose it's a weed if you don't want it there! To me it's a wild flower. It varies alot in size (age/location) from 5 to 50mm. The lower leaves are fleshy and cordate (heart-shaped). It can cross with Cochlearia danica which is prostrate and has more pinkish flowers. It is common (where you are) so don't worry too much if you have to yank it out. :blush:

Hillbillypop

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 11:57 »
I suppose it's a weed if you don't want it there! To me it's a wild flower. It varies alot in size (age/location) from 5 to 50mm. The lower leaves are fleshy and cordate (heart-shaped). It can cross with Cochlearia danica which is prostrate and has more pinkish flowers. It is common (where you are) so don't worry too much if you have to yank it out. :blush:
well many thanks all of you for your help it would have been ok in my alpine garden but now that it has spread out it does not look as attractive in that the leaves are a lot lot smaller than when it was  compact may try and crop it and see how it behaves if not i'll wang it ;)

xx
Need help identifying this plant!

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post September 19, 2009, 14:30
by Yabba
xx
Help identifying plant please

Started by Hamani on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 13:52
by Hamani
xx
Help identifying this please

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 23:06
by rich24uk
xx
Help identifying shrub please

Started by poultrygeist on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 20:01
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 38 queries.