Leeks planning for an early crop

• 9 Replies

thestens

• Experienced Member
Leeks planning for an early crop
« on: December 02, 2014, 11:39 »
I am aiming for an early crop of leeks . I also want a large crop so will plant a lot. Am I right I can start them in Jan in deep tubs in a cool greenhouse for planting out later ?
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Leeks planning for an early crop
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 11:50 »
I sow mine in polystyrene fish boxes (I suppose about 4" - 6" depth of compost).  I "painstakingly" sow the seeds individually on a grid pattern 1/2" apart, so each seedling has enough room to grow. I find that I fairly easily get "pencil thickness" by the time I plant them out.

I don't start especially early as I think that might encourage more to bolt, however we consider Leeks to be a winter vegetable, so we don't harvest any early and as such if you want an earlier crop you might need to start earlier.  Perhaps also use an early maturing variety (along with a later / main crop one too perhaps?)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 12:30 »
I can recommend Zermatt as a speedy-leek. Great strong flavour too. Am not sure how they would do as earlies, but I'm going to give it a go for a few too.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 12:40 »

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 12:53 »
I grow early leeks down here, and deep containers like ice cream tubs are perfect. Once they've germinated early January in a propagator and grown a bit, mine go out to the cold greenhouse, and under secondary domes when any real cold nights are about, but we don't get that many. As Kristen says, spreading them out a bit is a good idea. Also the compost will need a bit of a boost or feeding as the leeks will be in the compost for a fair old time.
One other thing, the earlier crops ain't half more vulnerable to the leek moth, so cover them right from planting out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 13:31 »
Leek moth is a pain, but I suspect that the allium leaf miner can do even more damage, with little hope of recovery - if you have neighbours or fellow allotmenteers who grow leeks it may be worth asking whether theirs have suffered from either pest, because securely netting at lot of leeks for the entire growing season is also a pain!

Being a bit further north than most of the outbreaks I remember reading about on here, you may get away with it for another year or so.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 14:02 »
you may get away with it for another year or so.  :unsure:

Not seen either beast here, but I am netting starting from next season.  I'd prefer not to lose a season's crop (and let the blighters get a foot hold) prior to deciding to net.

Plot is going to look like a sea of netting though :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 16:39 by Kristen »

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 22:59 »
I love leeks and grow loads of them. Zermatt are good for an early crop and I start lifting in late August from a January sowing. Most 'maincrop' varieties will stand through the hardest of winters with no problems so it's fairly easy to have them fresh from August to April with frozen ones for the rest of the year. ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 07:26 »
I have grown Jaune de Poitiou as an autumn crop leek for the last few years.  It is a really fast grower and bulks up well for early crops  - available here :

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/leeks.html

Next year I am also trying one from T&M called Nipper, which promises baby leeks in 10 weeks through the summer.  We shall see, but it sounds good in theory  :lol:

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:14 »
I have grown Jaune de Poitiou as an autumn crop leek for the last few years.  It is a really fast grower and bulks up well for early crops  - available here :

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/leeks.html

Next year I am also trying one from T&M called Nipper, which promises baby leeks in 10 weeks through the summer.  We shall see, but it sounds good in theory  :lol:

Another vote for Jaune de Poitou here.  I tried it for the first time this year and was very impressed.  I have been harvesting since late August / early September. 

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 41 queries.