clematis

• 6 Replies

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
clematis
« on: March 20, 2012, 20:28 »
I have had this shrub for years, it spends most of its life like this..... it flowers around now, but its so ugly when not flowering,  I wonder if it is time to give up and take it out.  I haven't pruned for ages, mainly because I dont know what I am doing.  I have recently taken such an interest in gardening that I am trying to improve and get to know the plants and soil I have, hence why I ask so many questions.

It was left with us when we bought the house, so I dont know what type of clematis it is.  I know when we moved in in October the clematis was climbing the wall, but was all twiggy and woody like the picture.  Only difference is now it is more bush like from when my husband pruned a couple of years ago.

I know nothing on clematis, read bits and bobs on pruning but seems you should know what you have.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.

clematis.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: clematis
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 20:31 »
Prune it when it stops flowering and it should grow back in time to flower next spring

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 20:39 »
Okay I'll give it a go this year, its not nice though is it.  Bit of an eyesore

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:33 »
If it flowers around now, it is probably a type 1 which includes the Montana. Does it have large white or pale pink flowers? Type 1 clematis flower on growth made the previous year, so if you prune late in the season or just before they flower, you are potentially removing next years flowers. Its best to prune right after flowering.

Hope this helps, :) I have a Montana which I pruned incorrectly a few years ago and got no flowers the following year. ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 07:01 »
For info, type 2 clematis flower on old wood and can flower early and late in the year. They can be pruned early in spring.

Type 3 including Jackmanii, are the summer flowering types which flower on new growth. They are best pruned back hard in the winter.

:)

AmandaLouise

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:53 »
It is medium sized white flowers I would say, with slight purple hue.  It could be any of the 3 from replies below.  I will post a pic if it ever flowers!  It might do as it hasnt been pruned for at least 2 years.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 13:19 »
I'd still reckon on it being a type 1, per my first answer. You can ignore my second one, it was just for general info. ;)

xx
Clematis

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 13:31
by Goosegirl
xx
clematis

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 01:06
by Paul Plots
xx
clematis

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 20:04
by gobs
xx
clematis

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 22:53
by sion01

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 33 queries.