clematis

• 6 Replies

mdjlucan

clematis
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:06 »
iv planted 3 clematis at the base of a metel fenc will that be o k all so we had a frost last night will thay be o k the clematis have been in the grand about 3 weeks now
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 08:13 by mdjlucan »
metal detector man

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: clematis
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:44 »
I've got 5 clematis plants all of which are at least 3 years old and I've not lost one yet even though they rather unwisely seem to start producing shoots just after Christmas!

So yes, yours should be fine.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

corco2000

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47 »
Do u know if u can just taking cuttings of these and stick them in the ground, would they take?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18 »
Do u know if u can just taking cuttings of these and stick them in the ground, would they take?

It can be done (but not yet!) :

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/clematis_22.asp

Spana

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:23 »
Keep an eye on the metal fence just in case it gets too hot in the sun . 

Some are easier to root than others.  The montana's and alpina's root easier than the  big flowered hybrids i find. I always give clematis cuttings  bottom heat with a plastic bag over the pot and get   good  roots after 6-8 weeks.

MIL has several jackmanii in her garden that are from bits she has just pulled off the main plant and stuck in the ground so try it, you've got nothing to lose and theres always room for another clematis :happy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 13:44 »
I've found that the montana clematis cuttings root better if the stems are cut halfway between 2 leaves/buds, rather than just under the bud. Seems odd but it has worked for me :)

Spana

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 14:15 »
I think they all root better cut that way mum :) I also dip the bottom of the stem in rooting powder.

When we were moving here 10 years ago I had over 300 rooted clematis cuttings to bring with us.  I left them all in the green house at our old house for my daughter to look after.  She managed to kill all but about 20.  I planted them here and the rabbits got most but  the remaining 6 flower beautifully ::) :lol:

xx
clematis

Started by AmandaLouise on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 13:19
by arugula
xx
clematis

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 12:36
by nickmcmechan
xx
clematis

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2012, 12:28
by chrissie B
clip
What is this Clematis?

Started by cbv8 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 09:04
by cbv8

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.