harvesting horseradish

• 10 Replies

Grubbypaws

harvesting horseradish
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:28 »
I cant wait to harvest my horseradish but the books all say that cool soil promotes the formation of compounds that give horseradish roots their pungency and I should wait until after a frost, before the ground starts to freeze.  With these mild temperatures I am not sure when that is going to happen  :unsure:

If I harvested some now and put it in the fridge or freezer would that have the same effect?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: harvesting horseradish
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 13:54 »
Dunno the answer to your question, but when you process it I recommend doing it outside and wearing goggles ...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 14:25 »
We've got fairly cool soil now 'dahn sarf', we had frost a while back and my horseradish has died back so am taking some this weekend.

beesrus

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 16:02 »
I wouldn't worry about the pungency  :D
No frosts here yet, but my leaves have laid down and I dug a couple of roots yesterday. Processed it this morning, and ..... cor blimey !

The thing to do is make sure the root is well processed or grated dry and then make sure you leave it a good 10 minutes or more before you add any vinegar /water. I use a ratio of 1:2. The interval of time between the grating and the adding of vinegar is where you can control the pungency. The longer you wait, the hotter it gets. It's all to do with the air getting at it. I left mine for a 1/2 hour.
Mine then also gets a little salt and mustard added, and then it goes into a jar in the fridge. I take some out and add  cream as and when I'm about to use it. Lasts for a very long time if the cream is kept separate.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 16:21 by beesrus »

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 18:53 »
I keep a pealed root in the freezer and just grate it direct into whatever I'm doing.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:15 »
Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, beets and parsnips from the garden and my HORSERADISH sauce. mmmmm doesn’t come any better especially when washed down with a nice red wine  :)

louiseyoungs

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 13:26 »
Hmmm...I took some from a friend in a large pot (about 2 feet deep) and it has remained in there as I was advised not to put it into the ground as it will spread like wildfire. So, does anyone know how long usually it takes to grow large enough to use in the kitchen? I'm not sure even how old it is  :blush:. The leaves that have died back are about 7 inches long if that helps!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 14:15 »
I've just ditched mine. I had it in a 42L pot for 2 years and it was a mass of thin spindly roots. Might try again in an old bin, but the shallower pot was a total waste of time. And compost, since I wasn't going to empty it on my plot.

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 15:13 »
It normally takes a full year to get usable roots. I started mine off a few years back from a thin carrot sized root bought from Morissons food supermarket, and it took the whole 12 months to the late Autumn. I can't imaging horseradish particularly liking being in a pot, the roots like to spread somewhat horizontally. Leaves are usually far larger than 7 inches, more like a rather huge dock in appearance and size. My plants have been a good three feet high this year... very strong growers with roots about the size of medium parsnips and below.

Yes, it is invasive , but it isn't the devil and is nothing that can't be easily coped with in a small area. Every year on harvest, I dig around a couple of feet or to the end of the roots and pull up everything I don't want for next year. Keep on top of it every year. Doesn't take long. You can soon dig up escapees in late Spring once they show themselves.. the leaves are pretty obvious. The hardest bit is remembering not to put root remnants  and diggings etc into the compost or elsewhere on the plot.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 15:17 by beesrus »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 07:53 »
Its pretty resilient once it gets into open soil.

I inherited a large horseradish on my plot and it took years to get rid of it.  I dug and dug (halfway to Australia I think), it came back.  I dug more, guess what.  In the end I applied glyphosate to the emerging foliage and it looked a bit sick, then came back  ::)  It came back weaker each time, but eventually, after 2 to 3 years of glyphosate, it gave up the ghost.

Might try again in an old bin

I think the extra depth will do the trick.  I've seen it grown successfully in blue barrels  ;)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 08:51 »
My neighbour is not a gardener or a weeder. In one slightly awkward area where there once was a hedge our gardens meet with no boundary. I use the space to grow raspberries and rhubarb but one fairly large patch is forever invaded by his weeds; or at least it used to be  ;)  Now it is a fantastically productive area of horseradish .The fact that it is so robust means it keeps the weeds at bay!

It doesn’t  adjoin the main gardens so there are no worries there and it is not a place the neighbour ventures so he doesn’t mind.

Perfect solution. If any invades into his unloved patch I will simply give him a jar of HR sauce  8)

xx
harvesting horseradish

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 16:02
by Grubbypaws
xx
Horseradish?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 20:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
horseradish

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 23, 2014, 16:11
by fatcat1955
xx
Getting rid of Horseradish

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 17:28
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.