sweetcorn

• 15 Replies

m1ckz

sweetcorn
« on: May 22, 2013, 16:18 »
went out today   cant hang on aly longer lol,,tomorrow ,marrows are going in the lotty,,they have been out of the green housefor 2 weeks now

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 16:23 »
they've forecast cold for Thursday night and Friday - can you fleece them?

BicesterKev

• My Allotment Website
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 17:25 »
went out today   cant hang on aly longer lol,,tomorrow ,marrows are going in the lotty,,they have been out of the green housefor 2 weeks now

I'm the same as you, except mine are going in this weekend. The sweetcorns & squashes have been getting hardened off for about 4 weeks now...and that was me being patient in when I sowed them!

Totty

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 17:46 »
Put a lot of sweetcorn out this week. There are no frosts forecast round here and they have been hardened off for about a month. I have had sweetcorn planted early for the last few years now and have never had them sulk after chilly nights as some suggest, the longer the season the better the cobs. Won't be putting any squashes etc out for a week or so though, they do sulk if planted out when cold nights are still about.

Totty
image.jpg

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 18:24 »

I have just popped 60 ish 'Applause' in coffee cups a few days ago.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 19:05 »
Got some sweetcorn which has gone very yellow, so I have planted them out to see if they will recover.  I fleeced them just in case as they have come direct out the greenhouse.
Anne

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 20:58 »
The first batch of sweetcorn has been out for a couple of weeks with no problems so far. Mind you I've got another 100 plants in the polytunnel for a second planting and "just in case". :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 21:01 »
Mine looks ok, it's tiny still so it got a weak comfrey tea to help.

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 07:01 »
yes..i think ill fleece them today,,had a nice drop of rain this morning at 5am  its now 7am an sun is poking though the cloud 

bigben

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28 »
The first batch of sweetcorn has been out for a couple of weeks with no problems so far. Mind you I've got another 100 plants in the polytunnel for a second planting and "just in case". :)

Wow - you must really like corn - I usually plant 25-30 and this gives me corn for 5 or 6 meals by which time it is past it and is not the sweet treat that home grown corn should be. I dont freeze it as I had heard this tends to spoil the taste. Perhaps I should try.

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07 »
Wow - you must really like corn - I usually plant 25-30 and this gives me corn for 5 or 6 meals by which time it is past it and is not the sweet treat that home grown corn should be. I dont freeze it as I had heard this tends to spoil the taste. Perhaps I should try.

We always freeze any sweetcorn we have spare. Frozen corn certainly doesn't taste as good as it does fresh but it's still blooming tasty never the less. If you've got the freezer space I would certainly try it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 16:12 »
I agree, even frozen home grown sweet corn is better than supermarket stuff.

seaside

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 16:41 »
I've tried just a few of my sweetcorn in the greenhouse this year, whilst waiting to plant out most of the crop.
I planted them a few days ago. I have to say that so far the experiment is not going that well. Of 8 planted in the greenhouse, two have withered, two are sulking big time, and one has the yellow stripes thing.
I assume the shock of transplanting from pot, along with it being too early with the weather the way it is was a mistake.
I'm a fan of the large greenhouse/tunnel, and believe it might be the way forward with the weather as it's becoming, but timing is still important for these fussy plants.

Headgardener22

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 19:06 »
I agree, even frozen home grown sweet corn is better than supermarket stuff.
We freeze anything that freezes well (i.e. not courgettes). Sweetcorn does particularly well and last year our 60 plants saw us through until January. We've just used the last of the tomatoes and we're approaching the end of the garlic. ::)

Steveharford

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 19:41 »
Headgardener22 what method do you use for freezing your garlic? TIA

xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 21:25
by poohpouri
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:19
by alwayshopeful
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by suecoops on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 05, 2007, 23:03
by muntjac
xx
when should I sow sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post April 29, 2010, 08:32
by Jonajo

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 37 queries.