Strange practice

• 13 Replies

lacewing

Strange practice
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:15 »
I'm a little concerend, or perhaps confused about a practice that goes on at our site when a tennant  give up a plot. Other plotholders decide to strip the plot bare, compost bins, fruit trees,  unused posts, pots, etc, etc. These items are taken by people who already have established plots. Surely a thought should be spared for the incoming tennant, who is starting form scratche. I'm not sure if the stuff left behind becomes 'no man's property.'  I just feel it's a bit unfair. Sorry about the rant!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:20 by lacewing »
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Strange practice
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:29 »
This happened to an extent when I left my plot in Kettering.  The difference being I was asked if the "extra" stuff I had collected for future projects could be dished out to those who wanted them eg sliding doors, wood etc.

I said this was fine but the raised beds, greenhouse and shed should be left for the next tenant and they were.  Mind you I was chatting to the Chairman of the association.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:07 »
My thoughts on the subject are:  a prospective holder should be shown the allotment as soon as the present holder has given notice of quitting, that way he/she can say they will take it on in that condition.  Hopefully that way the common practice of "Gizzits" would be overcome and the allotment would not be lying idle for months/years allowing weeds to take over.   There, my sixpennarth.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 12:12 »
On our site anything left on a plot belongs to that plot and to the new tenant.

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 13:04 »
on our plot site in hull , what usually happens is that when a plot keeper is giving up their plot, they come into the plot shop and ask if anyone wants to buy greenhouse , shed tool , ect etc, 99/100 of the time the new plot keeper is contacted before hand and he / she is given 1st choice to buy the items,

but as for taking (stealing) other peoples property,

ill put it down to theft ,

which seems harder to stop these days,

TheSpartacat

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 13:14 »
On our site anything left on a plot belongs to that plot and to the new tenant.

Same with ours.
In my case, I inherited well established brambles and a buried greenhouse (WHY do people BURY things on plots!!!?)  :D :D :D

The changeover of plots in many places, like ours, is around April May when rents are due.
At that time of the year, a new plotholder is always going to be "behind" on the growing year, especially when the plot has often been left to get unkempt by the last tenant and their first job will be to dig dig dig... setting them back more by fleecing the plot of sheds etc seems a bit thoughtless to me? Its a great thing that allotments are more popular than ever before- it stops the developers from buying up half let sites.

I think its important to encourage newbies...
And its that initial loveliness of getting something growing that gets people bitten by the growing bug!?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 16:07 »
Lacewing, it sounds like your allotment folk practice outright thievery. They had no right when the plot was taken, they still have no right when it's being passed on. What terrible scavengers !

Totty

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 16:14 »
Our site has never had this problem, due to the short length of time they have been there, but we are struggling to find people to fill the spare gaps though!

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 18:39 »
This happens on our plots and as site rep I don't have a problem with it, although if a plot holder has put a shed on the plot I would try and arrange a buyer for it, no one has ever just taken one. A plot has just become vacant that has lots of scaffolding boards on and the old tenant wants to sell them but the new tenant doesn't want them so I now have to get them moved and see if the other plot holders want to buy them, so sometimes it's easy if people just take them.

ex-cavator

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 23:57 »
My lad & myself took up our two plots about 15 months ago, they were somewhat run down, the previous tenant had moved to the next two plots along, as that tenant had given up, and those were in better condition / required less work. We chatted with her on our first visit to the plots & she asked if she could just take the few remaining boards around her former raised beds, & we were quite happy for her to do so.

But imagine our dismay, when, about three months later, when we had already spent a great deal of effort in digging, and making new raised beds ready for the coming season, and were just beginning to feel that we were at last achieving something, we turned up one day to find a stranger lifting the paving slab path between our two plots, on behalf of the former tenant, who wanted them for her new plots.

We were dumbfounded, but there didn't seem to be a lot we could do about it  >:(

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 07:34 »
But imagine our dismay, when, about three months later, when we had already spent a great deal of effort in digging, and making new raised beds ready for the coming season, and were just beginning to feel that we were at last achieving something, we turned up one day to find a stranger lifting the paving slab path between our two plots, on behalf of the former tenant, who wanted them for her new plots.

We were dumbfounded, but there didn't seem to be a lot we could do about it  >:(

now that is out of order! we are in the process of moving off one of our plots to another so that both our plots are next to each other but i will take everything i need/want before it is relet

lacewing

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:06 »
Well, what can I say!, some defferance of openion here. I suppose at the end of the day, it's what is lawful, the rules of each allotment site and common decency.

paintedlady

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41 »
but the new tenant doesn't want them so I now have to get them moved and see if the other plot holders want to buy them, so sometimes it's easy if people just take them.

I think that is one of the problems when a tenant leaves a plot with stuff on it - 9 out of 10 it is just rubbish that a new tenant then has to clear away themselves.   On my site the council will do a one off clearance but tenants have to put all the rubbish at the end of the plot nearest the track and arrange for a collection - this can however, take several weeks to be done.  I've often scavenged a rubbish pile and picked up some useful stuff  :D   However, its very rare to pick clean a newly vacant plot on my site, and sheds/greenhouses/water butts left behind are considered part of the "fixtures and fittings" if the departing tenant has made no other arrangements.

My friends and I took our shared plot on immediately after the previous tenant decided to give it up - in fact he came along and chatted about the plot (he'd had it over 40 years & had to give it up due to ill health/sadly passed away soon after)  He also gave us most of his old tools in the shed.  But in most cases, a departing tenant  has already given up gardening long before he/she decide to let the council know, and the turn around seems extraordinarily slow given the waiting lists.  Plots get so overgrown that it is difficult to know if someone has taken it on but waiting for spring/summer to work on it, if it is still in the process of abandonment or is vacant.  At which point it doesn't surprise me if the vultures start to circle ....
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 14:52 »
I just recently took on another half plot which had a ramshackle shed on it, squared it up and made good. Then I came along one morning to find it neatly flat-packed on my plot. When I questioned the committee one of them said they (funny how "they" are never around when you want them) had taken down the shed and I could have it for £15!

I told them "they" had taken it down so "they" could take it away! B*gg*rs!

xx
Best Practice re: Propagator Use

Started by Markjp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 07:12
by DD.
xx
What's strange about that?

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2018, 20:33
by Offwego
xx
It's a bit strange (pic)

Started by mr Isaccs on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 16:27
by Dave Mack
xx
Strange looking potatoes?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 09:02
by JayG

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 33 queries.